SAU Community

Help! One Of My Wheel Nut Is Broken How Can I Take It Off The Car.

V37GT

only one way I know to get it off is to drill it, you'll then need a new stud and a new wheel nut....

Sh@t new stud and nut. if i do drill it can i save the stud as i only want the nut off???

no because drilling will mean actualy drilling straight down the stud using a drill bit the same size as the stud, you may find it easier to use a smaller bit first to start it off, stud is easy to replace... I may even have one in the garage, but I wont be able to check until Monday...

by chance is it an alloy nut?

you need to ask yourself why wont it come off cross threaded or broken nut, sounds like the stud will be damaged anyways

i do not know as i only got the car 3 weeks and now i am going to change some new mags and if i drill how easy to replace a rear stud on a V36 coupe???

should be as easy as any other car... knock it out it will drop out behind there is usually a cutaway behind the hub where you can slot the old stud out and slide the new one in, use a nut on it to pull it through...

Doh, I only have r33 studs... I just assumed everyone has a 33

nice products.... they have a great range of replacements, you would need to check out their parts catalogue to match the stud thread, pitch. length and collar size and possible head shape

before you drill it off!

a couple of other options

first, take the next smaller size socket in an impact socket, imperial if necessary, bash in on with a hammer....hard.....if it catches enough you will be able to undo it.

or...get a workshop to weld a nut on the end of the wheel nut and see if you can undo it with that.

drilling off will be a mess and probably damage the wheel as well as the stud.

BTW...always do up your wheel nuts carefully! 110nm with a torque wrench is best. Always put a wheel nut on a few turns befire using a rattle gun. Most tyre shops will not do either of these things and a stuffed wheel stud can be the result.

also, pm me your vin#. I can check the wheel stud number it may match something local

got it out without damage the stud thanks for Duncan we use a smaller size shocket then hammer it into the damage nut finally i can get the Sh@t off my car thanks heaps

Ive drilled out wheel stud before and it wasnt a mess, yeah you replace the stud but no damage to the wheel at all..

admitedly it wasnt going to come off any other way we tried so it was a last resort...

what are good forum here i will tell my friend to come and join thanks again very happy now

Yep, Duncan's a good man! + Many other helpful people here too! Welcome!