SAU Community

How To Install A 4wd - Rwd Toggle Switch On Your R32 Gtr Or Gts-4

I searched but couldn't find a write up of how to install a 4wd-RWD toggle switch on the R32. So after finding one on another forum and doing this mod myself today, I thought i'd contribute a little and write up how I did it.

It shouldn't take much longer than 20-30 minutes. If that...

I did find conflicting information about the actual fuse location. Some sources say its in the engine bay fuse box, other sources say its on the interior fuse panel, so some one may need to confirm this. I could hear a short, audible "woosh" noise when i turned the switch on and off while the engine was running. I'm assuming this is the 4wd system engaging/re-engaging... (still pretty new to skylines so im not 100% on this).

Tools / equipment needed:

- Phillips head screw driver

- Wire stripper / cutter

- 2 x lengths of wire for the switch (length will depend on where you put the switch, i used about 20-30cm for each wire)

- 2 x Female connectors (for the switch)

- 2 x Insulated wire connectors (to wire the switch in)

- A switch (i got mine from supercheap auto, cost about $9 but there are cheaper ones there)

1) Remove the interior driver side plastic under neath the steering wheel area.

2) Locate the fuse panel and the 4WD fuse. It will be the red 10A fuse in the top left corner.

Remove this fuse and start the car. The 4wd and Anti-lock dash lights should light up if you've taken the correct fuse out.

01072010_006.jpg

3) Turn the car off, replace the 10A fuse and remove the fuse panel. It is held in place with one screw in the left corner, and a plastic clip on the right side.

4) Behind the 4wd fuse, there is a blue wire with a white stripe. You will need to wire the switch into this wire so you can cut the circuit going to the 4wd fuse.

5) Cut the blue/white striped wire and connect one length of wire to each end. These will be wired to your switch. Connect the female connectors to the ends of these wires.

01072010_005.jpg

6) Work out the placement of the switch and run the wires to this location. I placed mine to the right of the steering wheel in one of the removable plastic bits. I had to drill a 12.5mm hole to fit the switch as per the instructions that came with it.

01072010_002.jpg

7) Connect the switch and test to see if it works. The dash lights should switch on and off and you should (i did anyway) hear (what i can only assume) is the 4wd system depressurising and re-pressurising as the switch is turned on and off...(someone may need to verify this...)

8) Once you have it all working properly. Re-assemble the fuse panel and interior panels.

01072010_008.jpg

9) Enjoy :/

I hope this info is correct. Of course, feel free to correct me on anything and i'll fix it up.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

another way to do it which maybe a little easier is to locate the fuse in the engine bay, cut and solder 2 wires to each end on the wire you cut and run them through to your dash, where by you install the switch again, i literally took 10mins to do and works a treat.

• 3 months later...