SAU Community

C210 Electrical Gremlins

harvo

Ok, so I got my car registered on Monday, finally, and it passed it's inspection first go with all but the window washer motor (front) not working.

After taking it for it's first decent drive (and having an exhaust mount break) all seemed to be ok, still needs some tlc but nothing major.

Day 2 and all is well for the drive to tafe, but when I left to come home car was hard to start, wouldn't idle at all, and all the dash lights were staying on (reds) charge, fuel, brake ect. Volts gauge is showing normal reading and car will run if you keep the rev's up it. No blown fuses not sure where I should start probing......any ideas?

Cheers Dan

Sounds like an alternator issue mate. When mine blew up my dash lit up like a christmas tree. Found a replacement at the wreckers off another l series motor for cheap and has been fine for almost 2 years.

Thank you sir,

I was hoping that was the case as I haven't had time to look at it yet, but really don't want to be chasing a short somewhere in the loom/s. Would consider an engine conversion before doing that :thumbsup:

Can I use an alternator off any l series motor l16,l18,l20?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my alternator reco'ed but the problem persisted, turned out to be a dodgy fusible link (alternator bearings where shagged anyway)

Dose anybody know what the correct rating for the 4 fusible links is(red, 2 x green, brown). As well as the main link from battery "+" terminal?

Considering changing to a newer style fusible link like some of the 240z guys are doing.

Cheers Dan

There are a few makes of alternator for the L series (hitachi and bosch from memory). While all the L series alternators physically fit the C210, some have a single pin plug in the back, and others use a twin pin plug. The plug can be removed and replaced, but the plug and bushes are all in the one assembly, and often worn bushes are causing crappy charging in the first place.

Unless its a dodgy fusible link, blown diodes, or clapped out bearings, of course.

Again, from memory, if you use the single plug system it still actually works, but you get an annoying warning light on the dash.

Well I got my alternator reco'ed but the problem persisted, turned out to be a dodgy fusible link (alternator bearings where shagged anyway)

Dose anybody know what the correct rating for the 4 fusible links is(red, 2 x green, brown). As well as the main link from battery "+" terminal?

Considering changing to a newer style fusible link like some of the 240z guys are doing.

Cheers Dan

Hi i think i can help you with your fusible link ratings.. ""brown link"" 0.3. ""green link 0.5. ""red link 0.85. ""black link 1.25.

Also i would check the voltage regulator, if you still have the old points system, convert to a electronic one

this only applies if you have a 50amp alternator, the efi skyline had a 60amp alternator with inbuilt regulator.

Cheers Mario.