SAU Community

AFM swap test partner wanted

Gradenko

Hey all.

I've been trying to solve an intermittent misfire recently and I think its down to being either the afm or ignitor unit. Before everyone jumps in and says "gap your plugs", I should mention that it only misfires/stutters at light or trailing throttle between 2-3k rpm. Very wierd.

Before going to one of the bigger workshops and wasting their time, I thought I'd try to diagnose it myself. So does anyone living south of the river want to lend me a hand for an hour or so? I'd only need to salvage those 2 parts from your engine bay and test drive with them for a few minutes.

Gradenko, ive had similar issues with my car and it was also AFM, id almost say for certain thats it. I even took my car to a workshop and had them test it all via the diagnostic port, even changed the plugs thinking it was that, cost me $80 and it still didnt fix it. Diagnostics said AFM readings were within spec.

In the end i resorted to a backyard fix thinking it was the AFM, ignoring nissans diagnostics. Sure enough a drowning in contact cleaner and it was running perfectly again.

Red17

Gradenko - I'll be fitting my replacement turbo tomorrow morning so the car is already in bits. You're more than welcome to come round then and borrow the AFM for a while... PM me if you're interested...

Dsturbd, I'll take you up on your offer. Next weekend perhaps. I'll pm soon.

Went to Garage Malaga today to swap bits with cam. Found out that series 2 afm's are very different from series 1 afm's, so not much testing was done. Did clean the afm with contact cleaner though, but that made no difference (thanks anyway, red17).