SAU Community

Injectors Or Lifters Ticking?

andyvr4

Hi i have a r32 which i bought with a ticking sound and the previous owner told me it was lifters and it will go away with the right oil, i have now tryed a few good oils latest being 8100 motul, i am now suspecting it might not be lifters and might be the injectors as he told me the car was well looked after and ive found hoses dissconnected, spark plugs in poor condition vacuum hoses still from when it was original, leaking coolant hoses etc so i cant really take his word for it being lifters.

So would lifters and failing injectors make the same type of ticking sound?

When the car is not completely warm and i drive off i get a kind of whistling noise at the same time as the intake suction noise then when its warmed up the cars sound and performs good.

Any insight to this situation will be much appreciated

Cheers

lifters will tick if the oil hasnt been changed regularly, as old oil sludge gets stuck in them and stops them from performing as they should

injectors tick normally, in fact, a nice injector tick shows signs of good health in the injectors

you will tell the difference as you will hear the lifter tick from inside the cabin, you wont hear injector tick inside

if its your lifters that are ticking, new oil wont fix this, you need new lifters, or you can do the tedious task of taking them out, pulling them apart and cleaning them, i recommend just getting some non genuine lifters, as genuine ones will cost you your left testicle.

Hi i have a r32 which i bought with a ticking sound and the previous owner told me it was lifters and it will go away with the right oil, i have now tryed a few good oils latest being 8100 motul, i am now suspecting it might not be lifters and might be the injectors as he told me the car was well looked after and ive found hoses dissconnected, spark plugs in poor condition vacuum hoses still from when it was original, leaking coolant hoses etc so i cant really take his word for it being lifters.

So would lifters and failing injectors make the same type of ticking sound?

When the car is not completely warm and i drive off i get a kind of whistling noise at the same time as the intake suction noise then when its warmed up the cars sound and performs good.

Any insight to this situation will be much appreciated

Cheers

RB20 or RB26?

Ive done close to 6 oil changes since i purchased it in july this year so its not old oil, i have 8100 motul in it at the moment.

Also i do hear it from inside the cabin, so it is more than likely lifters? I do get various oil pressure readings when driving and idle.

The whole reason is so i can get this ticking fixed as i doubt its doing any good for the car. The ticking is not around on idle only when driving, or under load

lifters will tick if the oil hasnt been changed regularly, as old oil sludge gets stuck in them and stops them from performing as they should

injectors tick normally, in fact, a nice injector tick shows signs of good health in the injectors

you will tell the difference as you will hear the lifter tick from inside the cabin, you wont hear injector tick inside

if its your lifters that are ticking, new oil wont fix this, you need new lifters, or you can do the tedious task of taking them out, pulling them apart and cleaning them, i recommend just getting some non genuine lifters, as genuine ones will cost you your left testicle.

I was actually doing this today and the ticks were gone for a split second then would come back slightly on idle but barely noticable whilst on idle

to test if its the injectors, race the engine from the engine bay and as soon as you let go, the injectors should stop ticking momentarily

This i never thought of but does make sense abit, as i stated in my first post id get a whistling type sound when the car hasnt warmed up, the noise would seem to come from the passenger side of the engine bay but when im under the hood on idle and put load on the throttle i cant seem to get that whistling noise to come through, instead i here the ticking coming from around where the injectors are. The r32 doesnt use any oil or blow smoke so i never thought it could be the turbo

I wish i could explain exactly what the noise really is like but the best i can come up with is a weird whistling type sound, it almost sounds like a huge air deflection type noise as it would come through at high speeds through a small tube or similar

sounds like the turbo is on its way out / not getting sufficient oil etc

Also its a rb20det.

I just re read my post and they do seem abit mumble jumble, mainly because its a strange noise which im very unfamiliar with.

I originally thought it was a intake leak, as when i purchased the car it had a couple split intercooler piping hoses but changing them hasnt changed anything, ive also along the way found a fair few dissconnected hoses which ive either replaced or put back in, ive tryed the basics to eliminate the problem but so far no good.

Sorry about the multiple posts, but in my previous cars ive done injector upgrades and have never heard noise from the injectors wether it be stock or the upgraded ones.

Anyone got anymore insight to this situation? I am thinking it is lifters but cant explain wether the lifters will make that whistling noise, i do get clicking whilst driving which does sound like from inside the engine

I think we are on the right path, ive started to pay attention to the boost guage when it does this noise and it is before it hits zero psi, so off boost and when its cold is when the whistling noise comes on, and it does sound like a squealing noise aswell, would the hose to the waste gate not being on the tight cause a similar noise? It goes after warming up.