SAU Community

Signs Of The Fuel Pumps Dying

ClutchBurndout-:(

you may find that it starts to ping up in the rev range as it will be leaning out.

only way to tell for sure though is to put it on the dyno. a dying fuel pump will generally have ok AFR's down low but the further up the rev range you get the leaner it gets because the pump will be maxing out and can't flow any more fuel. if the AFR stays the same all the way through the rev range, or gets richer up top then the pump is ok.

you may find that it starts to ping up in the rev range as it will be leaning out.

only way to tell for sure though is to put it on the dyno. a dying fuel pump will generally have ok AFR's down low but the further up the rev range you get the leaner it gets because the pump will be maxing out and can't flow any more fuel. if the AFR stays the same all the way through the rev range, or gets richer up top then the pump is ok.

ok, does consult show afrs? or needs dyno?

will i hear pingning if it is pinging? i remember in my old vh u could hear loud pining when it did it

Edited by Clutch

Yeah you'll need the wideband sensor, I think Bosch ones are around $100? You'd still need software which usually needs to be calibrated to the sensor. Even the LM has a calibration, although pretty easy to work with.

One run on a dyno and they'll give you an accurate AFR, they can do a flow test while under load, and might even find other issues you didn't even know about. :P

My Stato pump died recently, I jumpered the relay and got under it, accidentally bumping the fuel tank, and it started again. Turns out they often have a crap connection in the tank. Good too, because I despise working on fuel tanks.

Edit: And with audible pinging, aint that pretty high on the 'ping' scale?

Edited by GTRPowa

when i had my car on the dyno last, was a while ago now. the dude richened up the afr's in the high rpms, on the first couple of runs, to make sure it wasnt struggling to supply fuel.

i guess that's how they test your pump?

shouldn't need much more than getting a few power runs done. you have stock ecu don't you? if so then they can't alter the AFR's to see what sort of headroom you have above what it is running.

you could also try bumping the boost up a bit from what you have it at, as it will be using a bit more fuel that way so if it is fine on the higher boost then it will be fine on what you are running.

shouldn't need much more than getting a few power runs done. you have stock ecu don't you? if so then they can't alter the AFR's to see what sort of headroom you have above what it is running.

you could also try bumping the boost up a bit from what you have it at, as it will be using a bit more fuel that way so if it is fine on the higher boost then it will be fine on what you are running.

agreed

no, R&R doesn't stay the whole way through the rev range, it only stays like that for where the ecu is seeing too much airflow and throwing a tantrum. generally it will always come good in the upper rpm.

no, R&R doesn't stay the whole way through the rev range, it only stays like that for where the ecu is seeing too much airflow and throwing a tantrum. generally it will always come good in the upper rpm.

ok good, so it would seem my pump is ok then

sweet

was stressing that my pump would die halfway to philip island and id be farked.