SAU Community

R30 Queries

samkhan86

Hello all,

I have a 1984 r30 skyline auto very clean. my question was in relation to petrol consumption: is 98-ron petrol suitable (my concern is the vehicle is pre-1986)? any recommendations to engine/transmission oil for the vehicle? spark plugs?

thank you all

post-81313-0-32031700-1298328379_thumb.jpg

98 RON is ok, will not hurt the engine. 95 RON is also fine. I wouldnt touch the E10 or ethanol type fuels on a car this old.

Engine oil, Nulon for daily driving is good (Aussie brand too)

The rating of the oil (20w40 or whatever) depends on how old the engine is, If you put in a synthetic or a blend it will leak everywhere if its old. Best to check with the local autobarn/supercheap and see what it says in the brochure. Everyone will tell you their favorite oils and its a different answer from each person!

For me, Penrite HPR30.

Transmission, Penrite Synthetic Auto trans fluid, DEXTRON III has been good for me in the past. Tastes ok too.

Spark plugs. NGK BP6ES-11 all the way. Gap to 1.1mm Only $2.50 each or so (Unless you go for the Iridium ones, which basically last for a few more years at 4 times the cost)

DO NOT TOUCH BOSCH plugs for the L24 engine.

Thanks mate

My personal favourite: HPR Penrite as well. Before this vehicle used to drive an sv21 camry with about 350ks on the clock. had her running on penrite hpr50 (i know heavy duty) but worked like a charm for my engine.

Thanks for the info mate much appreciated.

For as long as you can get ULP, 91 RON is as good as you can get for your L24E, but after it goes to E10 only, PULP 95 RON is about the best. You will NOT see any benefit from 98 as opposed to 95.

Ethanol fuels will be good but only if E30 + can be organised. To get this you're going to have to mix E85 & E10 together to get approx E30. To get the best out of Ethanol, your going to also have to put an optional kit on the car to (about $200.00)

Oil? Anything heavier than 10W 30 or 40 in a good engine is considered GLUE in L series circles. The older the engine, the heavier your going to need though, but it would be a really stuffed engine to be burning 40 grade oil.

Plugs? Go with MAG's suggestion, because they are as good as you can get, but change them at 6 monthly intervals.

Cheers, D