SAU Community

L28 Info

jpcdanny

From the internets.

L2.9 ~ 3.2

When fitting an L28 with an LD28 crankshaft with standard bored cylinders it increases the engine displacement from 2.8 L (2753 cc) to about 2900 cc. It was never actually produced by Nissan but it is a very easy and common modification to the L28 done by many Skyline and Z car enthusiasts. The most popular modification is the 3 mm overbored(89 mm) L3.1 liter(3096cc) some add a turbo or two, but the more common setup is the triple Solex or Weber carburators. The only downside is that it is very hard to find an LD28 crank in good condition but fully counterweighted 83 mm stroke and even 85 mm stroke cranks can be bought from aftermarket companies such as Crower.

Without increasing bore size, fitting an L28 with the longer stroke LD28 crank will only result in 2.9L. In Japan and other parts of the world the popular "poormans mod" was the 3 mm~ overbore using the 89 mm ~ 90 mm Honda FT-500 / XL-500 motorcycle pistons along with the L14 rods. The real poorman would use the much cheaper/heavier 89 mm FJ20 or even KA24 engine pistons. All of these were cast pistons and had low endurance and would often fail when subjected to high compression and advanced ignition timing compared to custom forged pistons.

Depends on which L28 block you have too!

If you plan to over bore an F54 turbo block, forget about turbo or boosting even at factory 7 psi, because your engine is prone to failure at 89mm bore as the cylinder walls become to thin and become pourous allowing oil into the water through the cylinder walls under boost conditions. If your planning to use an F54 block and an 89mm bore with your LD28 crank stick to EFI at best.

The best block for an 89mm bore is an N42 no matter what anybody says or thinks, but if you go down the F54 track, don't come back to me when you have oil in your coolant and everything is operating as it should, because you have been warned.

And your LD28 crank isn't just going to drop into your L28 block without some extensive machine work. Go search HybridZ about this engine conversion because they have done this mod a lot in US. Most importantly, it IS NOT a cheap exercise as all the threads on HybridZ will tell you.

Cheers, D

• Like 1

Yeah my L28 bored to 3.0L with triple webers was a N42/N42 and that was all put together in Japan. They no what they are doing over there, as that motor was incredibily reliable even after 10 years of being flogged.

• Like 1

thanks to all the replies ,the engine i have is a modified L28 its got a ported head ,brass guides,looks like big valves and a nismo cam ,the block i dont know whats been done to it ,i can get a LD28 crank for $500 but if i need to machine it i may not bother ,i also bought a tomei 1 mm head gasket and arp stud kit so i can use a 75 hp nos kit should go ok its also got triple mikunis and octopus legs :domokun:

thanks to all the replies ,the engine i have is a modified L28 its got a ported head ,brass guides,looks like big valves and a nismo cam ,the block i dont know whats been done to it ,i can get a LD28 crank for $500 but if i need to machine it i may not bother ,i also bought a tomei 1 mm head gasket and arp stud kit so i can use a 75 hp nos kit should go ok its also got triple mikunis and octopus legs :domokun:

You can add another $500 to that LD28 crank before you're going to get it into your block at least.

What casting is your L28 block? You will find the numbers just behind the left engine mount.

You wasted your money on an Tomei head gasket in my opinion, not worth a squirt of cat's piss.

Have fun with your NOS kit!

Cheers, D

• Like 1

the only reason i put the got the head gasket was so i could run nos with out busting stock gaskets ,:cheers:

Yep! It will do that.

So your choice is to blow engines rather than a stock head gasket?

Ummmm very interesting concept!

As I said Have fun with your NOS kit!

Cheers, D

• Like 1
  • Nope 1

• 2 months later...

Which L28 blocks came in patrols? was it the F54? If you are staying NA could you still take out an N54 to 89MM?

What did the N42 block come in and where do you find them these days? L28 seem to be few and far between anyway these days.

• 3 weeks later...