SAU Community

Cas/timming Issue

Hey would like some help asap.

When i got my r33 it didnt have a timing cover, so i removed the cas to put the cover on. Then put it back in and now it isnt running so ive put it back in wrong how can i get it back in to atleast get it running so i can then get it with timing light with the right adjustment area cheers.

Did you make sure the CAS mated up the keys on the CAS optical sensor and the one on the end of the exhaust camshaft?

Probably something very basic, are you sure the CAS plug is connected?

yea cas plugged in and yea it mates up fine but wont turn over it weird but def timming related

In nearly all of the 7,369 threads on this problem, it is mentioned that there should be a half-moon key on the end of the exhaust cam that aligns with a half-moon slot on the CAS. If the key is missing (broken off), then the CAS can align in one of 8 or so positions, but there is only 1 alignment that will allow the engine to start.

Confirm that the key is there first. If it is, then the engine should run - maybe roughly, but it should run.

im sorry i did search and couldt find what i was after well im guessing the key isn there and how am i able to c this ? wen the cam is in so far also have adjustable cam gear if that makes difference

im sorry i did search and couldt find what i was after well im guessing the key isn there and how am i able to c this ? wen the cam is in so far also have adjustable cam gear if that makes difference

It is easy to spot the key in the end of the cam:

post-269-0-87543800-1299396018_thumb.jpg

If it isn't there, you can probably see a rough spot on the base of the recess where the key broke off from. Then you need to visualise how it all looks so you can position the CAS correctly. Alternatively, just keep repositioning the CAS until the engine fires.

Edited by blind_elk