SAU Community

Dodgey Dealer?

Hey guys,

I'll spare the details and get to the point,

I'm buying a used R34 GT, after I pay for it, I have to wait 1 week before I can drive the car away due to them needing to register for Roadworthy (They give 1 year free), is this normal?

Should I be worried they might change parts, etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Ok, so what should I be asking them to do?

This is my first time buying a car, I have read through the "I'm buying a Skyline... What should I look for?" thread and have checked and test driven the car going through those steps, a lot of them the dealer did without asking, he was even willing to floor it in a 70 zone.

How long does it usually take for the car to be registered and RWC?

Didn't the car have the rego sticker on it when you inspected it? I think something shonky is going on. I hope you remember what was on the car so that you can recheck it once you drive it away. Good luck.

Didn't the car have the rego sticker on it when you inspected it? I think something shonky is going on. I hope you remember what was on the car so that you can recheck it once you drive it away. Good luck.

I haven't payed for it, nor made a deposit.

I took a few pictures of it, and the front windscreen was clean, no stickers on it.

Hang on;

I've bought 2 cars from power road over here in Victoria and they've been perfect.

Sometimes the cars the dealers buy sit in the yard for a while before they send them off to get their rego done... it could just be this. When i bought the GTT last year

It had literally just come off the boat and it did not have a rego on it. I think the neccesary mechanical work had already been done before it arrived in Australia however. I put a deposit down; it was put through the relevant Vicroads tests and after a week it was in the yard ready to go with its rego plates & tags; with a years warranty from the dealer.

In the case of rego; i think they simply don't have it on the cars sitting in the yard because if nobody buys them; the rego expires and they have to pay again...

Hope all goes well with your r34. If it's near 100,000km the dealer would have to change ALL of its belts free of charge before he sells it to you.

And if you're still paranoid; do an racv check (or the equivilent for your state)

Hang on;

I've bought 2 cars from power road over here in Victoria and they've been perfect.

Sometimes the cars the dealers buy sit in the yard for a while before they send them off to get their rego done... it could just be this. When i bought the GTT last year

It had literally just come off the boat and it did not have a rego on it. I think the neccesary mechanical work had already been done before it arrived in Australia however. I put a deposit down; it was put through the relevant Vicroads tests and after a week it was in the yard ready to go with its rego plates & tags; with a years warranty from the dealer.

In the case of rego; i think they simply don't have it on the cars sitting in the yard because if nobody buys them; the rego expires and they have to pay again...

Hope all goes well with your r34. If it's near 100,000km the dealer would have to change ALL of its belts free of charge before he sells it to you.

And if you're still paranoid; do an racv check (or the equivilent for your state)

Hey,

I actually gave them a call and this is exactly the case, thanks for your reply.

They will be registering the car on Tuesday, so I can drive it away if I buy on Tuesday, the car is a late 2001 model series 2, 65K on the clock, very good ride, I hope all goes well, will keep you guys posted. :)

Just dont pay for it untill tuesday then, if your a genuine buyer i'm sure they will get everything ready for you before you have laid down the cash.

Hope it all goes well for you. So what made you buy from a dealer just out of curiosity?

Just dont pay for it untill tuesday then, if your a genuine buyer i'm sure they will get everything ready for you before you have laid down the cash.

Hope it all goes well for you. So what made you buy from a dealer just out of curiosity?

Not really sure actually, warranty?

I see more benefits buying from a dealer opposed to a private seller.

Stoked!

Good luck trying to sleep in the nights leading up to tuesday.... i sure as shit didn't.

But since it's a 2001 model car; you should actually get a years warranty on certain parts... not brake pads or solenoids but if the engine blows up basically you are covered. I remember Shane telling me it

was mandatory on cars ten years old or less. You've bought it at just the right time. But since its got 65k on the clock whats the worst its going to need? wiper blades? pfft. Good luck with your new toy

If the car is fresh into the country, then it's a few days wait to get a booking at VicRoads for the ID inspection - I learnt this one myself recently. As much as I normally love to sink the boot in when it comes to dealers, this doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

Stoked!

Good luck trying to sleep in the nights leading up to tuesday.... i sure as shit didn't.

But since it's a 2001 model car; you should actually get a years warranty on certain parts... not brake pads or solenoids but if the engine blows up basically you are covered. I remember Shane telling me it

was mandatory on cars ten years old or less. You've bought it at just the right time. But since its got 65k on the clock whats the worst its going to need? wiper blades? pfft. Good luck with your new toy

You really reckon its done 6500km/year? :rolleyes:

Got logbooks? :P

You really reckon its done 6500km/year? :rolleyes:

Got logbooks? :P

My mums current car is a 2000 Camry which was bought new, now with 72K on the clock, considering this is a 2001 model, I find it very believable.

Well, thought i might post an update, the dealer is indeed 100% legit, but unfortunately I had to lend 20K of mine to my parents to put on a deposit for a house loan.....

For the mean time I will just buy a cheapy 3-5K and use it until I get off my P's and just buy a turbo Skyline.

Would also like to thank everyone for their input and time :)