SAU Community

Putting Control Arm Back Together

Hey all, as previously suggested my upper control arm bush may have been fubar'd, so i thought id do a bit of DIY to get the old bushes out and get the new ones in.

now - i've got the new bushes in (with a bit of difficulty) but finally did it, however now i'm at a loss as to how to get the control arm back onto the upright. Ive tried brute strength of lever down the control arm to near the bushes and i come up short by about 1cm to be able to slide the bolt through.

is there something i'm not doing to make the job easier?? (apart from paying someone else to do it)

or is it just a matter of brute force to get the 2 part to line up and then slide the bolt in?

any help appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

is there something i'm not doing to make the job easier?? (apart from paying someone else to do it)

lol that is Plan A for me.

They are very tight on my car....I undo the caster rod so it is not distoring the bushes, that helps a lot (although it is a bitch putting that back in too).

Then bang in the inner end, adjusting with pry bar and big hammer. Once it is close use something small like a screwdriver to align hole until the bolt can go in. Then bang it in from there. Be careful when banging, you don't want to damage bolt thread or new bushes.

The the outer end, same process.

The caster rod back in, 2 person job or use some sort of ratchet strap or similar to pull the hub forward.

haha yea, its a pain in the ass when you start something on the car and can't get it back together....

my brother suggested undoing the castor rod - was thinking of just undoing the 2 nuts that are on the underside of where the rod connects to the bottom part of the (cross member?), would that be a better option?

Thanks for the advice

*edit* on another note, do you guys know the torque setting for that bolt through the bushes? or just FT? i spose i'd need to know for the castor rods.

Edited by BstewyR33