SAU Community

My Ceffy

Stang

Hey guys, been on SAU for a long time but haven't been particularly active. Don't have a thread about my Ceffy here, so I'll post some photos, videos and the story of the car since I've owned it.

I've only been well enough it to drive it once in almost a year, and that was only for about 10 minutes in September, due to extremely debilitating illness (See blog link in my sig for a little more detail), but hoping to be able to jump back into the driver's seat again soon.

So here's what's happened so far...

Having sold my old R31 coupe at the start of 2008, I missed having a RWD turbo, so started looking around for a Cefiro. Main reasons being four door practicality for work and daily driving, fairly cheap, and getting the sound & power of an RB turbo engine without the ‘please pull me over’ circle tail-lights.

Also wanted something that was appropriate for having a go at drift practices/track days/motorkhanas etc for a bit of fun.

Saw this one on carsales for a reasonable price, so went over to have a look. With Adelaide being Adelaide, after making a call I discovered I knew the guy selling it, and had his 400rwkw R33 GTR on my list of feature cars to shoot.

Had a few body marks and scratches, as you’d expect on a 22 year old car, and looked rather drift pig-ish with the panda colour scheme and burnt rear bar. But aside from the cosmetic stuff it seemed like a good base, no sign of any rust and with the engine and interior in good nick, and I picked it up for $7k, and started to fix a few things up in between using it for feature shoots and resting at home on my extra bad health days.

Off the top of my head, current mods on it are:

Tein coilovers all round

2-way mechanical diff

Nismo heavy duty clutch

Strut braces front and rear

17” Buddy Club P1 wheels

5 stud conversion

Skyline brakes

Sprint sports steering wheel

Bride bucket seat

R33 passenger seat

Apexi boost gauge

3” turbo back exhaust into twin 2” straight pipes

Oil catch can

(Came with BOV and turbo timer but removed both)

Some basic shots of the car at the guy's compliance workshop...

4986548856_e79dce4c18_b.jpg

4986547320_b6ed827304_b.jpg

4986546078_3a59a211b6_b.jpg

4986543972_1a2b4dde70_b.jpg

(I moved the boost gauge over to the side, having it in front of the speedo/tacho was annoying)

4986542308_47f1db9d16_b.jpg

Came back the next night to pick it up, one of the headlights was going on and off intermittently so stopped off at a mate's place to check it out. Had to take it to an auto electrician to sort it out in the end, it was a problem with the contacts which is apparently common across much of the Nissan range.

4985939985_a0e5953f2c_b.jpg

4986539014_a112dd1beb_b.jpg

Parked at home in the driveway.

4986537536_b4cbc0f03b_b.jpg

The rear tyres didn't have an awful lot of tread left, so I stopped in to a tyre shop and picked up some new ones.

4985934733_6b662dfe92_b.jpg

Trying to tone down the patchwork look a bit, I changed the black bootlid to a spare that came with the car. I was under the impression it was the same colour, but after taking off the bubble wrap it turned out to be light grey, which didn't stand out quite so much as black from a distance. They really aren't held on by much, just four little bolts. Two minutes with a ratchet and you're done.

4986530794_89f9c31a20_b.jpg

4985927841_cf8ec0ecf9_b.jpg

I also did an extremely dodgy stopgap spray paint job on the rear bar, just to cover up the burnt & melted part until I could get it in to be fixed up properly. Went for a short drive along the coast to Outer Harbour one afternoon and took a few snaps.

4985923707_a3c9302271_b.jpg

4986526596_a5c14e19a9_b.jpg

4985924745_4f85c2d8d3_b.jpg

The cannon muffler looked like it was hanging rather low, both from behind and side-on, so I went over to Smooth Garage to get some twin 2" pipes made up as a tidier looking and tougher sounding replacement.

4986523286_ff81ff57c4_b.jpg

4986521460_1d5cbf1d07_b.jpg

Got the flashes out and took a few strobed photos down at Port Adelaide, the first one made it into a Speedhunters "Your Classics' post: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/08/10/readers-rides-gt-gt-your-classics-pt-2.aspx

4986518028_1468049b8e_b.jpg

4986520380_bc5627ced1_b.jpg

4576359351_f61e4ebed3_z.jpg

I had a few weeks where I wasn't too well, but was able to get out in late May for my favourite hills run up Gorge Road to Lobethal, and back through Norton Summit. I took an incar video out of interest to see how well a P&S on a suction cup mount would work from the rear window, it turned out quite well considering.

4985915881_23b1311988_b.jpg

The next week I dropped the car in to a panel beater to respray the boot and rear bar, and cut a neat hole around the burnt part. Also left the badges off for a cleaner look. Still no show pony but looks a lot more respectable from behind than when I first got it.

4986514536_02554868fd_b.jpg

Unfortunately picking it up was one of the last times I've driven the Ceffy. After a couple of months of torturous stints in hospital with my paralyzed stomach problems, I've been too sick to drive at all since. So for the past 9-10 months or so it's basically been sitting in the garage gathering dust and cobwebs. :(

4985912515_a4d937207e_b.jpg

4985911335_7696536686_z.jpg

4986511020_f1a69d154c_b.jpg

It hasn't been started at all after the battery went dead in September, although I have a trickle charger to hook up so I can try to get at least it running again. And hopefully I'll be strong enough to drive again at some point soon, I miss it. Looking forward to a day where I can simply go for a nice drive on my favourite hills roads.

4986509802_6aa47791bc_b.jpg

There's a cooler and piping waiting in the garage which I'm planning to install, but with the ability to work & earn money very uncertain for some time to come I'm not sure what's going to happen with it now. Pondering whether to change the bonnet to a white one, I sort of like the black but it attracts unwanted attention.

4986508844_d0149bd358_b.jpg

This was starting it in September after not having turned the car on since June, it started and ran surprisingly easily and smoothly.

And the Gorge Road drive in May 2010, only half-decent hills drive I've been able to manage since I bought it. (Don't expect anything too exciting)

Last weekend I was actually able to drive properly for the first time in almost a year, got behind the wheel of a friend's S14 for a little while which was nice.I would like to get the Ceffy running again, so if I feel up to it I can go for a drive for a few minutes every now and then. It's had the same petrol in it since last June, and as I said hasn't even been started since September.

What's the best thing to do; maybe get it towed to a workshop to change the fuel and fluids to get everything moving again? A bug bomb might not be a bad idea as well, considering the amount of visible spiderwebs. :laugh:

5578631989_6d19445005_b.jpg

I want to get the bonnet resprayed white as well, the black one sticks out like a sore thumb which I don't want. Or if anyone has a white bonnet they want to swap, that would be good too.

Edited by Stang

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. :) Bonnet will be getting resprayed white soon.

Yeah I think they're 17x9s, not sure about the offset, is that written inside the rim? When I went for the hills run where I took the video above, it was rubbing a little bit, but only on very bumpy hard corners. Not that I've had an opportunity to drive it much due to my health, but it's never scraped daily driving even with a full car.

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update, this is from a post on PF earlier this month.

Here's a photo of it from a couple of weeks ago.

Cefiro+at+Jakas%2527s+new+house.jpg

I'll post more newer photos later on. But at the moment I'm going through the car's photos and story again in more detail for my blog, so there will be a bit of repetition at first. See the blog post here: http://carscameraschronicillness.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-cefiro-1-carsales-ad.html I'll post the same stuff in this thread as well as on the blog. Getting quite a few things done at the moment to get the car how I want it. :)

Ceffy is currently being worked on at Boostworx, where they are:

-Installing matt-black sprayed FMIC, ended up getting a 200x500 cooler to fit behind the standard front bar, as the HKS one I have is 300x600 and would have required hacking off half the bumper. Anyone want to buy the HKS one?

-For some reason the car came without the coil pack cover, so picked one up from Nisswreck last week, which will get put in at the same time, as it's under the computer and cooler piping.

- Replacing the old one with a new fuel filter and flushing the coolant system, the coolant we drained was pretty gunky, and the fuel was nearly a year old, so seemed like a good idea.

-Replacing some of the corroded hoses in the engine bay; had that on my R31 which required a tow truck when one of them split.

-Putting some new spark plugs in if necessary

-Sorting out why the front left headlight isn't working, may just be a blown bulb, or a similar problem with the electrical contacts like I had at first.

-Machining rear brake discs and replacing brake pads, as they were right down when we got the car running again.

-Doing a dyno run and tune to make sure everything's working properly and see how much power it's making. Will head over for photos and a video when they do it.

Edited by Stang

And now, back to the beginning...

Having owned an R31 Nissan Skyline GTS coupe in 2007, which I sold in early 2008, it was followed by an EG Civic, I started missing the feeling and power of a turbocharged rear wheel drive. So after thinking about maybe getting another R31 or a newer R32 Skyline, I decided that a Cefiro would be the best car for what I wanted to do with it. Which was to have a car that sounded good, handled well, had a bit of power to it, as well as the practicality of a four door sedan. I love the sound of the Nissan RB series engines, and Cefiros have that, but without the cop-bait circular tail lights of the Skylines. They were also one of my first choices of a Japanese import to buy in 2003-2004, but due to my health constantly being too poor to allow me even a marginal amount of paid work, I had to sit back and watch all my friends buy the cars I wanted, while I was stuck with dreams of being able to buy a nice car.

At the time in early 2010 I was also planning on using it for track days and drift practices and Mallala, but with my health taking a massive plunge in 2010, that's not realistic any more due to strength and money complications. Hopefully it's something I can do in the future though.

Skylines are very common cars now in Australia, particularly R33s, and while there are a few Cefiros around the place, they are fairly rare, and there only tends to be 6-8 for sale nationwide on www.carsales.com.au at any one time.

Given that Cefiros are a very popular drift car, several of them would be track-only cars, or highly modified and a bit much for what I wanted, and sometimes both, and completely hammered. So after checking on the Carsales website and several Japanese import forums over the course of several months in early 2010, I finally came across an ad for a Cefiro that looked promising, and was actually in SA which was rare. While it did have a bit of the 'drift pig' look going with the panda style black boot and bonnet, it had some aftermarket goodies that were exactly what I was after, but with a fairly standard engine and some nice 17" Buddy Club P1 rims. So after having a bit of a think and reading over the specs and looking through the pictures, I decided to give the seller a call. When I looked at the contact details, both the name and number seemed familiar for some reason.

So I started typing the number into my phone, and it came up with the name Vince. With Adelaide being such a small world, Vince had complied a couple of my friends' cars, and I'd also chatted with him at a nearby workshop (Boostworx) during a dyno day a little while back. But the reason he was in my phone already was that I had his R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R on my feature car list to shoot for High Performance Imports magazine. So after giving him a call and asking a few questions, I headed over to his import compliance workshop to have a look at the car in person, to see what sort of condition the car was in, and take it for a bit of a drive to see what it was like.

Here are the photos from the carsales ad, taken by Vince.

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+1.jpg

Cefiro+carsales+ad+2.jpg

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+3.jpg

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+4.jpg

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+5.jpg

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+6.jpg

Cefiro+Carsales+ad+7.jpg

Edited by Stang

So after getting a bit excited about seeing a promising Cefiro I was going to check out, I jumped in my Civic and made my way up to Vince's compliance workshop in the eastern suburbs. After plenty of stop-start traffic heading up Grand Junction Road mid afternoon, I got to the workshop and parked on the street outside. Walking up the driveway along the main building, I caught a glimpse of the back of the Cefiro through one of the garage doors. Just seeing the wheels and stance, the first thought that came into my head was 'Yeah, I'm going to want this...'

Here's a photo of the first view I got of it. Please excuse the terrible photos in this post, light was bad and I was rather distracted by looking at the car to concentrate on getting good ones.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+13.jpg

After chatting to Vince for a bit about the car, I had a bit of a closer look at both the exterior and interior, it looked pretty clean for the most part. There were a few obvious cosmetic problems in the way of the burnt rear bumper above the exhaust, some scratches and a mildly dented front left quarter panel, and the fact the bootlid and bonnet were black. But for a car that's 22 years old, you can't expect it to look like it's just rolled out of the showroom.

And as I mentioned in post #1, it had a few aftermarket items which were at the level of what I wanted in a car, sans the turbo timer, drainpipe muffler and blow-off valve:

-Tein coilover suspension all round

-2-way mechanical diff

-HICAS lock bar

-Nismo heavy duty clutch

-Strut braces front and rear

-17” Buddy Club P1 wheels

-5 stud conversion

-R33 Skyline brakes

-Sprint sports steering wheel

-Bride bucket seat

-R33 passenger seat

-Apexi boost gauge

-3” turbo back exhaust into 5 inch cannon

-Oil catch can

-Bee-R blow-off valve

- HKS turbo timer

The general condition of the paint and body was quite good. I looked at a Cefiro a few years ago with a friend that had a fair bit of body rust around the windows and such. I couldn't even find a hint of surface rust anywhere on the car, except for a tiny bit on the gouge in the front quarter panel mentioned above. The interior looked really nice and pretty new considering how old the car is. So after a bit more tyre kicking, Vince started the car up and let it idle for a little while to warm up the engine before driving it. Vince was actually keeping the car in his workshop for a friend who owned the car, and if I recall correctly he was in Hawaii when I bought the Ceffy.

With some impressive maneuvering by Vince to squeeze the Cefiro out of its resting spot and out in the driveway, I had a bit more of a look around the car again in the open shade and sunlight, and took a few quick snapshots as a record.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+2.jpg

My+Nissan+Cefiro+1.jpg

My+Nissan+Cefiro+3.jpg

My+Nissan+Cefiro+5.jpg

It's not particularly obvious, but you can see the slightly dented front quarter panel here.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+4.jpg

And here's the interior. The Bride seat is really good, holds you in quite snugly. But considering how ridiculously skinny I am, and that it's the right size for me, I'm not sure many people could drive it comfortably. But they're great in the hills, instead of straining to hold your body straight around corners, the Bride seat just holds you in the same spot.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+6.jpg

The engine bay. Couple of unnecessary stickers, a glaringly obvious blow-off valve, and missing the coil pack cover, but looked pretty good otherwise.

My+Cefiro+engine+bay.jpg

These steering wheels are really nice to use compared to standard ones, smaller size and made of stitched leather (or maybe imitation leather). You can just see the boost gauge behind the steering wheel.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+7.jpg

There aren't heaps of places to put one, but right in front of the speedo and tacho doesn't seem like the best choice, given it blocks the view of the more important gauges.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+14.jpg

The 17" Buddy Club P1 racing rims. I tend to prefer dished 5 spoke or BBS mesh wheels better, but I do quite like the look of these. Offset is just right to have them sitting flush with the guards.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+8.jpg

As I said before, rear bumper was a bit fried from the exhaust which you can see in these shots. But that's a relatively minor cosmetic blemish easily repaired.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+10.jpg

So after having a good look around and taking some photos, it was time for me to get behind the wheel to see what it was like on the road. With a heavy duty aftermarket clutch, the pedal was a lot heavier than the one in the Civic, but I managed to slot it into reverse, and then ease back down the driveway without too much trouble. Vince was in the passenger seat, and while reversing out into the street, I commented how heavy clutches are easier to get used to than light ones. I then proceeded to almost stall the car trying to take off gently in first.

While the clutch wasn't as heavy as some other cars I've driven, it engaged very suddenly and fairly high up, which made things a bit difficult to get used to quickly. Obviously I was erring on the side of caution for stalling, preferring unnecessary revs to bunny-hopping. So I drove about as competently as an L-plater doing their licence test when it came to taking off from a standing start for the first few minutes.

The gearbox felt quite smooth and good for a car this old, as did the engine and suspension. With coilovers all round and a skipping mechanical diff, it wasn't what you would call a comfortable ride, but after years of riding around in and driving kidney-bruising Japanese imports it was nothing different to what I was used to anyway.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+12.jpg

I drive my parents' VY Commodore now and then, which has pretty soft standard suspension. After driving something that handles relatively well with good suspension and meaty tyres, like my EG Civic or the Cefiro, you really notice how sloppy normal sedans like a Commodore are. Under acceleration and braking, the VY pitches back and forth quite significantly, rolls from side to side in corners, and when doing both generally wallows around like a ship lost at sea in a storm. I don't usually tend to get carsick as such, but having a car sit flat around bends is a much nicer sensation than feeling like you need to hang onto the windowsills to stop yourself from falling out and/or throwing up.

After giving the Ceffy a bit of a stick on a nearby main road in 1st and 2nd gear to see how it was running, and gauge the sort of power it had, everything seemed to be pretty good so I made the decision that I would buy it. So after weaving through assorted backstreets to return to Vince's workshop, driving a bit more competently than before (not a lot), I parked the car back in the driveway. After awkwardly half-climbing out of the low slung Bride seat, I fished $100 out of my wallet and gave it to Vince as a deposit, planning to return in the next few days with a friend to pick up the car.

My+Nissan+Cefiro+11.jpg

Jumping back into the Civic, its clutch was ridiculously light in comparison to the Cefiro, to the extent that I repeatedly kicked my foot to the floor on gear changes at first, as I couldn't feel the take-up point. But after a couple of minutes I returned to driving like a normal person, and as I headed home I started to think about what I could do to the car and the motorsport events I could take part in after forking over the cash.

Coming up in Post #3; the purchase and introducing the car to its new home...

Edited by Stang

So after putting down a deposit on the Ceffy, I returned a couple of nights later to hand over a wad of cash in exchange for the car. I went back up with a friend in my Civic, so he could check out the car as well, and I also figured it might be a little tricky driving both cars back home myself.

Following a bit of a chat about the car, getting spare bits and pieces together and signing the registration papers, Vince handed over the keys to my new Cefiro. With a little more talent than last time, (still not a lot) I eased the clutch out to reverse back down the driveway, and made my way out onto Grand Junction Road to head back to another friend's house.

I did have a bit of smile on my face on the drive back, having the turbo sounds and power again felt really good. By the time I made it back to my friend's house in Flinders Park, we'd noticed that the Cefiro's left hand headlight was only working intermittently. So it was into the garage to have a look under the bonnet, and try to see what the problem was.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

After a bit of fiddling with the fuses and wiring, we managed to get the light working again fairly consistently, for a little while at least.

IMG_0665.jpg

The light was still going on and off for no apparent reason, so after working on and having a closer look at the car for an hour or so, I decided to head home, and take it to an auto electrician to get the problem sorted properly.

IMG_0668.jpg

It felt good to get the Ceffy back to its new home in my garage, on the drive back I was pondering what to do first, while keeping an eye on the temperamental headlight. Cleaning up the rather rough appearance was first on the list, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do in the dark, so I locked the car up, closed the garage door and headed off to bed, ready to get going the next day.

Having brought the Cefiro home the night before, the next morning I started it up and reversed out into the driveway, to take some photos of it in sunlight. After having it sit in my garage for nearly a year from June 2010- May 2011 with a repaired and resprayed rear end, when I looked at these photos again for this post, I was a bit taken aback by how much of a pig it looked when I first bought it. Mostly due to the melted and burnt rear bumper, as well as both the bonnet and boot being black.

From this side it looks relatively ok.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

And then...yikes. Looks particularly nasty in this first photo, can't believe I drove it in daylight looking like that, even if it was only once to wash the car and pick up a few car-related bits and pieces from Port Adelaide.

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

After taking a few photos of the Ceffy in the driveway, I headed over to a car wash at Port Adelaide to clean some of the dust and dirt off the car. While I was hosing it down, a guy from the Bob Jane T-Mart store next to the carwash came up, and said he knew the previous owner, and that at some point it had been defected and had to be taken back to stock. I mentioned that I was after some new rear tyres, as the current ones didn't have much tread left. He said that they had 17" tyres on special for a good price, so after rinsing the car off, I made the huge 30 metre road trip over to the workshop to get a couple fitted.

IMG_0674.jpg

Up on the jack in preparation for the new tyres. It was a good chance to have a bit of a look underneath the car, with it being quite low I wasn't able to see much lying on the ground when I first checked it out.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

With the new shoes fitted a short time later, I headed back home and parked it in the garage. The car came with a few bits and pieces, including a spare boot lid that didn't look black, although it's really more of a dark grey than black.

IMG_0686.jpg

Some pretty substantial flames came out of the exhaust at some point in time by the looks of the bumper. I've seen various rotors pop flames fairly regularly, but they don't melt the bumper like this.

IMG_0687.jpg

I suppose you don't need too many points to attach a boot lid, but I was a little surprised that there were only 4 little bolts holding it.

IMG_0688.jpg

So after a couple of minutes with a ratchet, and some awkward maneuvering holding the boot lid by myself, I got it off and laid it on the ground next to the bubble-wrapped replacement. It would have been even easier with a second person, but in the middle of a weekday with nobody else around I managed ok.

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

I was under the impression that the spare boot lid was the same colour white as the car, given that would be the logical conclusion, and under the bubble wrap it did look white. It turned out to be more of a light grey colour, which obviously didn't match, but stood out a lot less than the blackish one. So it was the better option until I could take the car in to get resprayed properly.

IMG_0697.jpg

There were a few random stickers inside the new one. With some difficulty I held it in place while I did the bolts up tight again.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

So looking marginally more respectable after the change, but still has mismatched paint and the nasty bumper burn dragging it down.

IMG_0700.jpg

Some of the bits and pieces that came with the car in the boot, lots of random plastic trim pieces, as well as 600x300mm HKS front-mount intercooler.

IMG_0693.jpg

Coming up in Post #5; my dodgy stopgap bumper respray, and some decent DSLR photos of the Ceffy, taken on our first short cruise to Outer Harbour.

Thanks. Actually just managed to get a white bonnet from Christian Pickering yesterday, and I think a friend will help me whack that on today. Still want to touch up the bumpers and body marks further, but for the time being I will be less edgy driving around with the car all the same colour.

I do quite like the Buddy Clubs, although saw an R34 sedan for sale recently with some nice Rays Gram Light 5 spokes, thought they might look good.

IMG_0206_wheel.jpg

Edited by Stang

So after doing a very rough and dodgy touch-up spray of the burnt part of the rear bumper, it was time for our first leisurely drive. It was also a good opportunity to take a few half-decent photos of the Ceffy, using my Nikon D300 digital SLR with an 85mm f/1.4 lens, which tends to give slightly better results than a low-end Canon compact.

I decided to head a few kilometres along the coastline and up to Outer Harbour. Cruising along the Esplanade from Semaphore, you're greeted by sweeping ocean views as you make your way north up the Le Fevre Peninsula.

There are a few open spots at Outer Harbour to choose from for taking car photos, but being a weekday afternoon near a busy port, there were lots of trucks frequently rumbling back and forth around the main roads and warehouses. So I turned down towards the boat launch ramp, which has a small road and carpark squeezed in between the export car yards and marina. It was fairly quiet, so I was able to park in the open area near the ramp to get some shots of the car.

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+1.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+2.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+3.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+4.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+5.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+6.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+7.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+8.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+9.jpg

Nissan+Cefiro+Outer+Harbour+10.jpg

Then a few days later, took the Ceffy to church for the first time on Sunday morning, and parked it next to a mate's Toyota JZX100 Chaser, which has just under 200kw at the wheels, so it's much faster than my car, and much less dodgy looking. Photos were taken with my long-gone Canon Powershot A470 compact, may it rest in peace.

Nissan+A31+Cefiro+%2526+Toyota+JZX100+Chaser+1.jpg

Nissan+A31+Cefiro+%2526+Toyota+JZX100+Chaser+2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a few days resting at home, I felt a bit better, so I decided to get my Nikon Speedlight flash gear out to take some proper nicely lit photos of the Ceffy. It wasn't particularly clean, so I drove a few minutes down the road to Semaphore, and gave the car a quick wash in one of the bays. Photos taken with a Canon Powershot A470.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

After giving it a quick soap and rinse, I jumped back in the car and headed over to Port Adelaide. Given that I was about to shoot a white Falcon with a black bonnet for Street Fords magazine, I drove down to Hart's Mill, located just next to the Port River, for a bit of practice. It has a large area of gravel and bitumen nearby with no traffic, so it's a really good location, and has that nice industrial look, with a choice of old brick, stone or corrugated metal backgrounds.

With the back end still looking pretty nasty, I just concentrated on a few little details, and getting the lighting, composition and angles right for a front quarter shot. These tend to be used for opening spreads in magazine features, as it gives a view of the angle most people generally look at a car from.

Started off with a couple of detail shots. I like the random Japanese stickers you tend to find on most imports. All the photos were taken using a Nikon D300 digital SLR and Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D lens.

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+1.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+2.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+3.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+4.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+5.jpg

To start with the front 3/4 photos, I took a few photos with just the natural light. It gives a different look compared to using flash, and is also good for getting a baseline exposure to work with for the three external Speedlight flash units.

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+6.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+7.jpg

So after a few natural light photos, I got the three flashes out, set them up around the car, and started playing around with different angles and levels of light and exposure. When using the camera and flashes in manual mode, the general rule of thumb is that raising the shutter speed will make the general exposure darker, while dialing the aperture up and down will affect how bright the flashes are. That's not the best explanation of how it works, but it's all a matter of playing around with different settings until you like what you see. I think these photos were taken with the flashes set to half power.

So below are a few photos with variations in shutter speeds and apertures. The flashes I used were all Nikon Speedlights; an SB900 and two SB600s. After varying levels of success with the Nikon CLS optical flash triggering, I bit the bullet a few months earlier and bought a set of Elinchrom Skyport wireless triggers. Not cheap, but they do reliably get the job done time after time, compared to the optical triggering, where it was very hit-and-miss unless you were close with a direct line of sight to a Speedlight flash.

But combining charging the D300's battery, 12 AAs for the flashes, and the three Elinchrom Skyport receiver units, you need a lot of power points to charge everything up before a shoot. And that doesn't take into account charging spare/backup batteries, which is always a good idea.

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+8.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+10.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+11.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+12.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+13.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+14.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+15.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+16.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+9.jpg

A few more detail shots to finish things off.

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+17.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+18.jpg

Cefiro+at+Port+Adelaide+19.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

At this point I hadn't yet heard how the new exhaust sounded from the outside, so I put my Canon Powershot A470 on the ground to take a short clip while I started the engine and gave it a few revs.

At the time I was hoping to get out to some drift practices at Mallala, so I went to Nisswreck to pick up a couple of cheap stock R33 Skyline rims in my Civic.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

And then got some secondhand tyres fitted.

IMG_0773.jpg

The next week was pretty bad health-wise, so I spent quite a while trying to recover from the effort of getting out driving and taking photos. On the 12th I had a BMW to shoot for Hot 4s magazine. If you look closely, you can see the Cefiro in the reflection on the side of the BMW while I was shooting some rolling shots, with my friend/assistant Dean behind the wheel.

BMW+Cefiro+reflection.jpg

BMW+wallpaper.jpg

The actual shot they used didn't have my car reflected in the paint obviously.

Coming up in Post #7; photos and video from the first hills run.

Edited by Stang

After spending three weeks at home resting and recovering, I finally felt up to going for a drive in the hills. After dropping my girlfriend Sally off at the airport to visit her dad on Flinders Island mid-morning, I headed up to Gorge Road.

This stretch of road is my favourite hills run route. Gorge Road has a great mix of twists and turns, in combination with some stunning scenery, and towering rock cliff walls along most of the way to Lobethal. I love going through there with the windows open in a nice sounding car, the exhaust and turbo sounds bouncing off the cliffs.

IMG_0001.jpg

Since I was mostly focused on enjoying the drive and getting some in-car video footage, I only brought my Canon Powershot A470 along and took these few photos just at the start of Gorge Road.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

I then set up the Powershot camera on a Manfrotto suction cup, attached to the inside of the back window. For such a basic setup, the footage and sound actually came out quite well which was nice. I was a bit concerned that having the windows down would just blast the audio with wind noise, but you can only hear it a few times.

IMG_0009.jpg

So here's a short clip I cobbled together of the drive up Gorge Road to Lobethal, and then back to town again on Adelaide-Lobethal Road. You can get a good idea of the impressive scenery I was talking about at the start of this post, and what the car sounds like with the new exhaust.

Here's a Google map of the area around Lobethal. As you can see, there are plenty of awesome roads to choose from.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Lobethal,+South+Australia&hl=en&sll=-34.940161,138.790498&sspn=0.014864,0.033023&t=h&z=13

Thanks Dan, I'm only up to May 2010 so far, much more still to come. I really like reading build threads and seeing cars gradually take shape. Or lose shape in the case of some drift cars.

Thanks Dan, I'm only up to May 2010 so far, much more still to come. I really like reading build threads and seeing cars gradually take shape. Or lose shape in the case of some drift cars.

Holy crap! We still have a year and a bit to go!

*pulls up chair and subscribes*

Again, top write up mate. I better sort my photos out and type up a build thread!

nice vid , looks alot like tassie roads! , we have so many like that even i haven't driven them all! (youtube search targa tas , that is just a small part of how many twisties we have down here)

a31-rb20 htfu and put your thread up already ,., please :cheers:

Holy crap! We still have a year and a bit to go!

*pulls up chair and subscribes*

Again, top write up mate. I better sort my photos out and type up a build thread!

Unfortunately around 10 months of that time consists of the Ceffy sitting in the garage gathering cobwebs, with me too sick to drive. :(