SAU Community

Need Gearbox Help Asap

hi all... took the gearbox out of my 33 as it was locking me out of 3rd and 4th and felt pretty shagged. upon inspection it is evident i will need 3rd 4th and 5th gear dogs. will need syncros for those gears. and then a few minor things.

as you may know. buying 3rd is simple enough... buying 4th isnt, because 4th comes with input shaft and other parts as a gear set... and to get the syncro for 5th you need to buy the reverse gear which only comes as a gear set blah blah blah and yes it added up to well over $3k for the parts from nissan... probably closer to 4k with bearings seals and gst lol.

so i went back to the workshop and soon located a z31 turbo 5 speed box for $1000...... how does this compare to rb25 box....????

i also located a z32 turbo 5 speed box for $1500... which i know is superior to rb25 box.... but does it bolt up to rb25/rb30...??? or do i need bellhousing adaptor????

and yes i know i could just buy another rb25 box but if i was destroying them with my rb25 at the track i dont think they will last long with the new 25/30 setup thats ready to go in when i find a box!!!

im really keen to buy the z32 box as i know its stronger than r33 box and its only about same price as another 33 box. will it fit in the floor tunnel of 33 gtst???

thanks guys.

im now looking on some other forums and reading that z32tt box is nearly identicle to 33gtst box and there is no strength difference???

and that both are pretty much just a rwd version of the 32 gtr box.

do i buy z32 tt box??

33gtst box??

or try to convince bank i need another 10 grand for my car to buy a ppg gearset which i doubt they will lend lol

after a day of litrally looking at seperated boxes and speaking to a few people and a helpful pm from another member i can conclude that... 5speed gtr, 33gtst, z32 are all the same internally. identicle.

they all just use different bellhousing and extension housing and of course gtr is setup for 4wd application. (z32 has slightly different shifter setup i think but no real drama)

z31 box i knew was single syncro so assumed it was different and with confirmation from a forum member and an outside source i can confirm it is like the vlt box.

thread can be closed unless anyone has anything to add.

cheers. james