SAU Community

Installed A Black Edition Safc2 In The V35 Today

Just thought I would show off my 'new' toy. Have had this Limited Edition SAFCII for a while (used to have it on my R34) and finally got around to fitting it today. Looks factory to me, which was the whole idea. Cutting the back of the ashtray out was a bit scary, but I never used it anyhow.

If anyone ever wants the wiring diagrams etc for an SAFCII into a 2003 V35 let me know and I will post them up. Now to go get her tuned and see what benefits there are.

I will get around to doing a complete thread on all the things I have done to my baby - they are quite extensive (including Heads-up display, Dual din touchscreen DVD/radio, 10" Sub in custom fibreglass enclosure, Kinetix intake Plenum, Carbon fibre intake pipe, Godspeed adjustable sway bars, KYB gas struts, Eibach lowered springs, Stoptech Braided brake lines, Factory Brembos (came with standard brakes), Stoptech 2 piece floating slotted rotors, Kinetix high flow cats, Apexi exhaust control valve, Megan Racing Y-pipe, Straight pipe from Y-pipe to rear axle, Ganador mirrors, Full bodykit (carbon wrapped), Knightrider style moving red led, 18 x 10 +12/18 x 9.5 +20 wheels, etc etc) .... one day.

Enjoy the pics.

post-669-0-44999900-1308575292_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-50534500-1308575300_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-77465900-1308575308_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-82418400-1308575315_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-10367200-1308575323_thumb.jpg

Thanks Scarf!

Haxorz I currently get around 450km-500km city driving, and over 650km highway. So pretty happy with the economy already - always doesn't hurt to have better though. If I got a 5%-10% fuel saving and a bit more power I would be stoked. not having it tuned for a couple of weeks yet, as I am going to put a resonator back in to stop it being so ridiculously loud/raspy.

Let me know how fuel economy goes. My V36 sucks!!! 350-400km to a tank city driving. 600km absolute best highway driving.

Really? damn son

i usually get about 450km on a full tank city driving.

98 octane?

Hmmm i get 300-350km pure city driving, like my max speed zone is 70. What exactly is this thing you installed and what does it do? im very interested. Also is it easy to install like a DIY or would you recommend pro installation.

Edit: I use 98 octane

Edited by jawrgy

I am pretty handy at car things and electronics so did it myself, but it really is a pro job.

If you are comfortable :

- Pulling apart your centre console and cutting out the ashtray to mount the head unit (or manufacture another mounting position)

- Cutting/splicing and soldering around 8 different wires out of your ECU

- Routing the wire loom under your dash to the head unit (in the ashtray position)

Then go for it. It was only a 2 hour job for me from start to finish.

Cost of an SAFCII is around $200 del 2nd hand (or more if you can find a limited edition black one like mine).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APEXi-SAFC-2-Piggyback-ECU-Controller-JDM-Drift-Boost-/290580010162?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a7eb14b2

Or better option would be to buy the newer

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APEXI-NEO-SAFC-AIR-FUEL-CONTROLLER-AFC-VAFC-VTEC-/230635444899?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b2f19aa3

for $410 del which has a prettier colour screen and does some cool things.

A dyno tune will involve 5-10 dyno runs and a street check, and can cost $300-$500(depending on where you take it and how well you know the tuner).

But for an extra 10%ish of power, and hopefully a 10%ish improvement in fuel economy it is the best $500-$900 you can spend I think.

jawrgy if you are only getting 5km/l then I would definitely be changing your oxygen sensors. Bad news is that we have 4 of them in our cars, and it costs around $1k for 4 of them. there is something definitely wrong there.

FYI mine is an auto (so uses more fuel than a manual), AND I spend decent periods of time sitting in my car with it idling and the a/c on (due to my work) .... and I still have NEVER had less than 400km out of a tank.

I am doing a 340km round trip for work up to Clare tomorrow (might have to stop in on the way at Sevehill Winery, Kilikanoon, Mitchell's and Knappsteins on the way, just to make any wine lovers out there jealous), so will see what my highway economy is like with my new Kinetix intake manifold fitted, my new Kintetix HFCs/Megan Racing Y-pipe and the resonator free high flowing exhaust.

Very, very nice list of mods thumbsup.gif

Any chance letting me know where you got the custom subwoofer housing made and how much? Been looking into having a sub without having it take half the space in the boot.

Is yours similar to this?

post-63310-0-84440400-1308814274_thumb.jpg

Thanks Doddy. No I got the sub enclosure and 10" JL Audio sub from the guy below - from memory it was $550 delivered, but that was over a year ago when the US exchange rate was nowhere near as good as it is now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G35-COUPE-STEALTH-SUBWOOFER-BOX-ENCLOSURE-MAGIC-BOX-10-/350315939618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5190750722

Here is a video I took when I first installed it to give you an idea.

• 1 year later...

Hi from New Zealand!

Nice car and mods you have here - if you don't mind, I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding the things you have done for your V35 as I would like to do something very similar to mine here in little ol' Auckland.

1). S-AFC/AFC Neo:

I currently have a V35 Coupe (Manual), and also an AFC Neo which has been sitting around in my room for almost 5 years now! Finally wishing to install it and started doing some research and stumbled across your post. Can you kindly send me the wiring diagrams for it if possible? Are they off the Apexi-USA website?

What "type" of airflow meter sensor does it have? As the installation method is dependent on this factor I believe?

And finally, any suggestions on tuning? Would you mind sharing your tune figures from your AFC2?

2). JVC AVX2:

I also currently have a single DIN JVC head unit which I would like to install. I am a little confused through research as to exactly what kit will I require to take out the OEM unit. I have located kits online for the dash kit itself (I will use OEM dash rather than the aftermarket kits), but not sure if I need to get another Air Con control unit as many USA forums have suggested? I have SAT-NAV, and I do not think I have a BOSE system as it doesn't say so anywhere on the factory head unit (and only 6 speakers).

Sorry this maybe a bit vague, if you require any further info then please kindly let me know. I am excited to get back into car modifications after 10 years away from it!!!

Regards,

Isaac

Just thought I would show off my 'new' toy. Have had this Limited Edition SAFCII for a while (used to have it on my R34) and finally got around to fitting it today. Looks factory to me, which was the whole idea. Cutting the back of the ashtray out was a bit scary, but I never used it anyhow.

If anyone ever wants the wiring diagrams etc for an SAFCII into a 2003 V35 let me know and I will post them up. Now to go get her tuned and see what benefits there are.

I will get around to doing a complete thread on all the things I have done to my baby - they are quite extensive (including Heads-up display, Dual din touchscreen DVD/radio, 10" Sub in custom fibreglass enclosure, Kinetix intake Plenum, Carbon fibre intake pipe, Godspeed adjustable sway bars, KYB gas struts, Eibach lowered springs, Stoptech Braided brake lines, Factory Brembos (came with standard brakes), Stoptech 2 piece floating slotted rotors, Kinetix high flow cats, Apexi exhaust control valve, Megan Racing Y-pipe, Straight pipe from Y-pipe to rear axle, Ganador mirrors, Full bodykit (carbon wrapped), Knightrider style moving red led, 18 x 10 +12/18 x 9.5 +20 wheels, etc etc) .... one day.

Enjoy the pics.

I remembered when I installed my SAFC II in my v35 with the only a X-force catback system, Z tube and panel filter with a modified box.

Few base dyno runs and it was getting a bit rich through the mid to top range, pulled some fuel out and gained 4rwkw. It made 174rwkw which was quite impressive IMO.

5AT aswell.

Hi Isaac

I will dig up the install diagram tomorrow if I can find it, but basically you need power, earth and air/fuel signal (to splice into), and that's about it. No idea what type of airflow sensor it has, but I am sure the Neo will work on a V35. I don't even know how to pull out the tuning settings off my SAFCII, but every car is quite different, so I am sure they would be of little use to you anyhow.

When you buy the dual DIN kit, it has the a/c controller built into it. All you really need is a harness to connect the JVC to the non-bose system (which you should be able to find online, or PM Chris Rogers on SAU - I am sure he would sell you one. Mine was pretty straight forward to do from memory.

Thanks Andrew,

If you do find your wiring diagram, it would be greatly appreciated! As there are 2 ways to wire up and then pre-configure the AFC so it would give me an indication as to which one I require.

As for the head unit setup, am I right to assume ALL stereo changes will require a new A/C controller? I am thinking from a cost perspective, as this is much cheaper at only $145US+Shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Double-Din-Conversion-Surround-G35-Brushed-2003-2004-/261131288165?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AG35&hash=item3ccca33e65&vxp=mtr

As opposed to a full kit at almost double the price, $350US+Shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-INFINITI-NISSAN-SKYLINE-G35-DOUBLE-DIN-DASH-KIT-IN-SILVER-WITH-AC-CONTROL-/251204907913?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AG35&hash=item3a7cfab389&vxp=mtr

Again thank you for helping me clear all this up, I wish the community was much larger here in NZ :(

Cheers,

Isaac