SAU Community

R34 Gtr Overpriced?

I've been car browsing the past week or so and I couldn't help but notice how much a standard 1999 R34 GTR can fetch these days. Despite being over 12 years old, why do they command such a high price?

Compare this to say a 1998 R33 GTR which can be purchased for around the mid to low $20k mark, that's quite a discrepancy in price between the two. Are they all that much better than previous models or is this a trend thing....

Re: GT-Rs

Production Numbers of R34s are appreciably lower than R33s or R32s dalv

Hope you find yours. After I sold my R33 GT-R, I waited 3 years before my first R34 GT-R (going through a 5th Gen Prelude > 328Ci BMW > 4th Gen Prelude waiting.... waiting....).

The problem (unless you already own a BNR34) is that because there was a 10 year gap between them and the R35, they represented the top of the GT-R tree for a very long time. Given their age now, they now fall under the category of collectible in Japan, with V-Spec Nurs, M-Spec Nurs and even low-km M-Specs and V-Spec IIs fetching more than R35s do. I doubt they're going to get any cheaper in Japan, so they're probably not going to get any cheaper here either. If they do get cheaper, people will start sending them back to Japan.

Edited by Iron Chef

The problem (unless you already own a BNR34) is that because there was a 10 year gap between them and the R35, they represented the top of the GT-R tree for a very long time. Given their age now, they now fall under the category of collectible in Japan, with V-Spec Nurs, M-Spec Nurs and even low-km M-Specs and V-Spec IIs fetching more than R35s do. I doubt they're going to get any cheaper in Japan, so they're probably not going to get any cheaper here either. If they do get cheaper, people will start sending them back to Japan.

I'm waiting for this day, probably wouldn't send it back and only being a v-spec :(

^ ^ ^ Very very occasionally, there's a Japanese man who has more money than brains. When you find him, don't forget to put that exclusive "Made in Australia" sticker on the Selbys rear sway bar.

people will charge what people are willing to pay, just how the market is with these cars atm

I've been looking into getting a 240z for a looong time & only seeing the prices go up :teehee: