SAU Community

Dvd Head Deck Setup

J'son

The head deck in my partners new car plays dvds, but doesnt disable when the hand break is on.

How do i remedy this?

Had no luck finding info anywhere...

Can I ask why you want too ?

Quite often the installers do this on purpose (yes I know not leagle blah blah)

No, I dont want to watch tv when driving, we need it to not play when driving cos rego are being tools about the fact that it still plays. It is only a cheap chinese unit, and we are gonna replace it, but the replacement wont arrive before the rego check is due to be completed.

The previous owner installed it and it can play dvds at any time, not that we even tested that ourselves... But for rego it needs to not play dvds when driving....

which i dunno how that works if she is using the dvd player to play an dvd full of mp3s not watching movies... but rego blah blah blah.. ideas please?

Yes there will be a wire behind the unit that is connected to ground, that is not the main ground wire. You need to connect that wire to the hand brake signal. How you do this is entirely up to you...

+1

Last time I did one the wire was pink, but it will probably be different. Will usually be a really skinny wire (similair to a "remote" output wire that goes to an amp). Easiest way is to splice it into the handbrake light wires.

I was worried they would knock us for having it out thinking we'd just put it back in or that there was a hole in the dash, but they told me the same, that can do that.

the mrs is getting a new better deck any hoo, but will take a couple of weeks from the US.

Thanks Verms, but i can install in no worries. It was only trying to work out how to make the current dvd player compliant.... But they told me i can just remove it and i wont get bounced for the open dash area, so that wil do till the new one comes in the next week or two.