SAU Community

Check Engine Light

Jay-C

Hi guys,

I've noticed the check engine light coming on a few times when i'm driving, which is beginning to worry me since i just got my car. it's appeared in the following scenarios:

- low fuel (fuel light just came on) and i could feel a sudden drop in power as i slowly moved from a standing start.

- heavy acceleration and boost and it came on as i lifted my foot off the accelerator to change gears. (lots of fuel in the tank)

does anyone know why this would be happening and should i be getting this checked out by a mechanic?

thanks

jay-c

thanks guys.

it's a gtt with the usual mods (intercooler, air filter, exhaust) however as i bought the car with them all on, i can't be certain what exactly has been modded and tuned. the light flashes.

i've been researching this a bit on the net and some people say that it's because the fuel cap isn't on tight enough and that there's supposed to be some pressure in the fuel tank (and it's supposed to hiss when you take the cap off). i've tightened it now (because it didn't hiss before) but haven't taken the car out for a spin to see if this had any effect.

i'm just going to take it in for a service since rego is nearly up anyway. i'll just get them to do a pink slip and get them to do an overall service on the car and see if any issues come up.

jay-c

thanks guys.

it's a gtt with the usual mods (intercooler, air filter, exhaust) however as i bought the car with them all on, i can't be certain what exactly has been modded and tuned. the light flashes.

i've been researching this a bit on the net and some people say that it's because the fuel cap isn't on tight enough and that there's supposed to be some pressure in the fuel tank (and it's supposed to hiss when you take the cap off). i've tightened it now (because it didn't hiss before) but haven't taken the car out for a spin to see if this had any effect.

i'm just going to take it in for a service since rego is nearly up anyway. i'll just get them to do a pink slip and get them to do an overall service on the car and see if any issues come up.

jay-c

If it didn't hiss after a drive it's not holding pressure. I made a thread in the diy on how to fix this.