SAU Community

Water in rear quarter panel

I washed my car last thursday avo. The next night i went to my mates house and parked on a steep driveway. Half an hr later i went to get something out of the boot and noticed at puddle about 50cm near the back right corner of the car. I thought it might have been fuel but, noticed it was water. I then saw water dripping from the back bar.

Opened the boot to have a look around. Felt down behind the quarter panel to notice about 2inches of water sitting in there. I had some rust cut out of the wheel arch about 6 months ago. They also but some rust preventative in the quarter panel too. I dont think that is the cause of it.

Would it be ok if i drill a small hole in the bottom of the quarter panel at the wheel arch near the guard to let the water drain out?

The seal is coming out a bit on the top corner of the back window. Would that be the cause of the water getting in there? It would have to travel down the back pillar thru the chassis to get there.

I am not sure...

Does anybody know of a good window/window seal person in gold coast/bris southside?

The car is a 32 gtst.

Cheers

I had a similar problem with water in the right rear quarter panel. I traced it back to a leaky tail light - they also half filled with water! I used a towel to wick away the moisture in the lights and then used some silicon sealent to seal the inside of the taillight unit. I also wicked the water from the quarter panel and since then I haven't had the problem happen again.

I had a similar problem with water in the right rear quarter panel. I traced it back to a leaky tail light - they also half filled with water! I used a towel to wick away the moisture in the lights and then used some silicon sealent to seal the inside of the taillight unit. I also wicked the water from the quarter panel and since then I haven't had the problem happen again.

Do you have a 32? I think the tail light setup is different on a 33, thats all...

I havent really had a good chance to have a look at it yet. I suppose this super long weekend is a good time to sus it out.

Any windscreen place can fix your rear window seal......by the sound of it , the fool who did ur rust work has bogged/welded up your drain hole...all cars have them....check along the bottom of the seam where your inner quarter and outer quarter join(underneath) Something like this...

drainjpg.jpg

poke some wire up in there or carefully run a drill up one to clear it out....other than that drill from the inner guard as low as you can .....be care full tho, and remove the water first, like everyone else said....you dont want water running out of a freshly drilled hole into the electric drill your holding :zap:

Yeah I find that everytime I wash my car I rip off all the boot covers and dry out the puddles in my rear quarter panels plus where my space saver is.

I'll be taking the tail lights apart soon, and am looking at buying a tonne of silicon to make sure it doesn leak, but by the sounds of it if you do a search here and SDU it is a common problem for 33's and it a bugger of a job to fix up :)

Do you have a 32?  I think the tail light setup is different on a 33, thats all...

I havent really had a good chance to have a look at it yet.  I suppose this super long weekend is a good time to sus it out.

Yeah I've got a 32. The tail light lens assembly is fitted by some sort of sealant and in mine there was a leak that allowed water to slowly get through.

I have a rubber pipe on the left side quarter of my car that drains water from *somewhere* in the bodywork.

My car has no rust otherwise.

T.

I'd check this first, it happened to me. Stick your head under the car and see if you can see the tube coming out, mine was inside the panel instead of poking through the whole. :)