SAU Community

Need Help To Register An Import Modified V35 Coupe

I took the car to get registration and i was told that the car has be put back to factory standard.i would like to know if there is any other options or if there is anyone who went through the same situation and how he managed it. the car is s/c and has got recaro seats, ings bodykit and after market wheels.any help will be appreciated !

Wait.. your car was complied to begin with right? Looking at your other post you mentioned it was complied in Melbourne.. did you ever register it in Melbourne?

Don't know about WA but in QLD, to register a car (be it local or import), its just a matter of passing a RWC.

From your other post.

thanks man i will give them a call. I am actually in big trouble as i was asked by the department of transport to change everything back to stock ! that means taking the s/c off, changing recaro seat, aftermarket wheels and tyres, changing the fenders and the ings spoiler, putting the stock stereo, memo steering wheel even the lights.has anyone licensed a modified import?Anyone with information that can help please don't hesitate.

The car has already been complied so you would (you will have to confirm with WA folks but it should be the same) only have to pass a RWC.

S/C is not (in QLD anyways) an unroadworthy modification as long as its done properly. The Recaro if it is not ADR conforming that yes it won't pass RWC. As long as the aftermarket wheels and tyres are RWC (that is conform with rolling diameter of tyres/tread etc) than you shouldn't need to change them. Fenders? Really? Unless they are some dodgy built fenders (material used) than that makes no sense... along with the INGs spoiler.

Momo steering if it complies with ADR than should be fine... if not that yeah you will have to change it for RWC same with the lights (if they for example the U.S ones or do not conform).

Lastly.. Stereo? Are they serious? Since when does (unless some uber dodge duct tape install) a stereo fail a RWC lol.

To be honest.. the fact they want you to return to OEM sounds like they want to comply it again.. but it has been done and you will have paperwork/plate/sticker to confirm this so I would think you would only now need a RWC to register just like other states.. unless the WA folk can shed some light into this.

Also who told you, you had to change all those items? Ring up the Transport Department twice to confirm.

Car has been complied hence was approved to be kept in Australia so really, you should only have to pass a RWC to register.

Wait.. your car was complied to begin with right? Looking at your other post you mentioned it was complied in Melbourne.. did you ever register it in Melbourne?

Don't know about WA but in QLD, to register a car (be it local or import), its just a matter of passing a RWC.

From your other post.

The car has already been complied so you would (you will have to confirm with WA folks but it should be the same) only have to pass a RWC.

S/C is not (in QLD anyways) an unroadworthy modification as long as its done properly. The Recaro if it is not ADR conforming that yes it won't pass RWC. As long as the aftermarket wheels and tyres are RWC (that is conform with rolling diameter of tyres/tread etc) than you shouldn't need to change them. Fenders? Really? Unless they are some dodgy built fenders (material used) than that makes no sense... along with the INGs spoiler.

Momo steering if it complies with ADR than should be fine... if not that yeah you will have to change it for RWC same with the lights (if they for example the U.S ones or do not conform).

Lastly.. Stereo? Are they serious? Since when does (unless some uber dodge duct tape install) a stereo fail a RWC lol.

To be honest.. the fact they want you to return to OEM sounds like they want to comply it again.. but it has been done and you will have paperwork/plate/sticker to confirm this so I would think you would only now need a RWC to register just like other states.. unless the WA folk can shed some light into this.

the car is complied i ve got all the paper and it has got the compliance sticker on as well.everything is RW on the car the guys problem is that the car is modified before it was first registered.So he wants me to put everything back to stock.the momo s.wheel has no air bag that's why they say it has to be changed .the seat and seat belt are all correctly done it has has been assessed by an engineer and he has done a report for everything (carbon emmission, structural and mechanical analysis)

i don't know why this guys are giving me a hard time.

Also who told you, you had to change all those items? Ring up the Transport Department twice to confirm.

Car has been complied hence was approved to be kept in Australia so really, you should only have to pass a RWC to register.

No if it's fresh into the country, it needs to be stock standard, not just roadworthy.

Diamondwood, PM DRIFTT for help, and be prepared to spend a lot of money to pull everything off, replace with stock parts, and put the aftermarket gear on. WA Dept of Transport are giving you a hard time because that's the rules, and your car is nowhere near meeting them!

If you bought this car through a broker or import dealer, ring them up and abuse them for being so stupid, then ring the compliance workshop and warn them that they're probably going to be getting a call from DoTaRS.

No if it's fresh into the country, it needs to be stock standard, not just roadworthy.

Diamondwood, PM DRIFTT for help, and be prepared to spend a lot of money to pull everything off, replace with stock parts, and put the aftermarket gear on. WA Dept of Transport are giving you a hard time because that's the rules, and your car is nowhere near meeting them!

If you bought this car through a broker or import dealer, ring them up and abuse them for being so stupid, then ring the compliance workshop and warn them that they're probably going to be getting a call from DoTaRS.

Yeah I know that the cars have to be back to OEM standard however Diamondwood did say his was complied to begin with.. though like you said

To confirm though is the rule that after compliance the car has to be completely stock for registration purposes (first time registration)?

I know compliance makes it stock for approval but I would of thought that aslong as the car conforms to RWC, registration shouldn't be an issue unless WA is stricter on this. If this applies to first time registration of vehicles that have just arrived than ok (if WA says so) but would this extend to vehicles that are already in Oz i.e Brand new Holden that has had aftermarket stuff put on but does pass the RWC and going for first registration?

Yeah I know that the cars have to be back to OEM standard however Diamondwood did say his was complied to begin with.. though like you said

To confirm though is the rule that after compliance the car has to be completely stock for registration purposes (first time registration)?

I know compliance makes it stock for approval but I would of thought that aslong as the car conforms to RWC, registration shouldn't be an issue unless WA is stricter on this. If this applies to first time registration of vehicles that have just arrived than ok (if WA says so) but would this extend to vehicles that are already in Oz i.e Brand new Holden that has had aftermarket stuff put on but does pass the RWC and going for first registration?

Yes, he said the car was complied but if it hasn't been registered, then it MUST be stock for first registration. That rule applies anywhere in Australia, and I can tell you they're just as hot on it in SA. And yes, it also applies to new cars, although they're not required to go through ID checks for registration in some states.

Diamondwood, you've got mail ;)

• 7 months later...

Does this mean if a stock skyline was bought from a dealer in Victoria then it should have no problems with the pits? I only ask as I am looking at buying a stock v35 from a dealer in Victoria, the car has been in the country 5 months and complied but has not been registered, as it seemed pointless if I would have to do it again in WA.

I was able to successfully negotiate through this nightmare with the RWC on a bike I imported (Im no import expert though)

I had access to a stock exhaust and the other required parts, and convinced the mechanic doing the RW it wasn't worth their time to spend a day swapping the parts around and then back. They did check each and every part for fit and damage, and I did swing them some cash for it, but I didn't actually have to remove anything.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta go through the same problem as I just bought my V35 and first time registration and its been complied but needs to be stock for registration. :( There goes looking for rims and tyres to fit the standard and suspensions. By the way, what is the standard stock tyre profiles for V35 Coupe to pass the pits?

Does anyone with a V35 Skyline have problems going through the pits with their HID Headlights because I am! Stupid Inspector making a big fuss over it for not having self leveling mechanism and a hi pressure washer. Almost all V35 have HID headlights. Anyone know the remedy to fixing the headlights problem?

Such a disappointment. Also, I was unlucky because the inspector who inspected my car drives an import as well so he knows all the usual problem for cars. Apparently he's imported soarers, skylines and elgrands.

Gotta go through the same problem as I just bought my V35 and first time registration and its been complied but needs to be stock for registration. :( There goes looking for rims and tyres to fit the standard and suspensions. By the way, what is the standard stock tyre profiles for V35 Coupe to pass the pits?

Does anyone with a V35 Skyline have problems going through the pits with their HID Headlights because I am! Stupid Inspector making a big fuss over it for not having self leveling mechanism and a hi pressure washer. Almost all V35 have HID headlights. Anyone know the remedy to fixing the headlights problem?

Such a disappointment. Also, I was unlucky because the inspector who inspected my car drives an import as well so he knows all the usual problem for cars. Apparently he's imported soarers, skylines and elgrands.

What pits did you go over mate? I'll have to make sure I avoid them then, can't be done with the hassle.

This is from the RAWS website....

"Vehicle Condition

For a vehicle is to be complied by a RAW, it must be fitted with original components (air intake, engine, exhaust, suspension, steering wheel amongst others). If the vehicle is non-standard, this will increase the cost of compliance as the RAW will need to return the vehicle to its standard production format."

I would be explaining to the compliance workshop and/or dealer that they will either have to foot the bill to correctly comply the car or give you your, money back.

went to welshpool. avoid it. theres 2 guys there who does the inspection who's been driving imports for 15+ years so they know the problem.

On a side note, anyone knows anyone in WA with stock V35 suspension springs or 350z springs I can borrow off? Thanks. :)

went to welshpool. avoid it. theres 2 guys there who does the inspection who's been driving imports for 15+ years so they know the problem.

On a side note, anyone knows anyone in WA with stock V35 suspension springs or 350z springs I can borrow off? Thanks. :)

Check the WA section of the Skyline Forum. They have a borrow for pit thread.