SAU Community

Hey Guys

-NightFaLL

Hey All Im lochie From the Goldy Ive been around looking on these forums for a while decided too make an account finally as i have a few questions.

Im looking to buy a skyline pretty much within the next 2 weeks but im really stuck, I have a budget of pretty much 10 grand and should be able to get a decent 33 gtst for that i think.

Now i have read every Thread on here and all these answer have been answered but its for my own piece of mind!

Now my biggest worry is the engine and Kms, As you know alot of people that own these beasts love to really open them up and smash them. But can you tell if the engine is in good condition From just looking on the outside?

Of course other things like fmic and every other gadget under the sun but i feel like ive reached a cross roads and really just dont know what to do ive worked to hard Trying to save to go and blow it on something that needs thousands of dollars spent on it

Comes to the conclusion of actually bringing someone out with me as they would have more knowledge then myself about what to look for and what not!

Any Answers at all would be great.

Thanks guys Fantastic forum keep it up

lochie

Don't spend $10,000 by how it looks on the outside lol.

Like you said, you have worked to hard to blow it all. Go spend the extra $100 and bring the car to a mechanic to have a look over it. My mechanic charges $75 and spends a good hour+ looking over it and picks up the littlest details. If you don't know or don't have access to a mechanic, then RACQ charge around $250ish. But keep in mind, that because it is a Skyline they will mark everything about it as faulty lol.

Spending the extra $100 to get it checked over by someone on a hoist will give you you peace of mind to be able to sleep on your $10,000 spent

Edited by wilorichie

Like you said, you have worked to hard to blow it all. Go spend the extra $100 and bring the car to a mechanic to have a look over it. My mechanic charges $75 and spends a good hour+ looking over it and picks up the littlest details. If you don't know or don't have access to a mechanic, then RACQ charge around $250ish. But keep in mind, that because it is a Skyline they will mark everything about it as faulty lol.

Spending the extra $100 to get it checked over by someone on a hoist will give you you peace of mind to be able to sleep on your $10,000 spent

Thanks for the advice man much appreciated :)

+1 To this. I myself do inspections (3rd apprentice) at work for customers which gives them a heads up on all the finer details that may not be mentioned in the sales pitch. A lot of people find out when it's too late. Advice - If you cannot (and I mean CANNOT) physically afford/get to a mechanic to get an inspection, the VERY LEAST you can do is make sure the owner has a log booked history of the car and mechanical repairs made to it and is sold registered and road worthied.

Purchased my first skyline about 6 months ago and was very apprehensive as well;

Make sure you get the full vehicle report from qld transport - costs about $30 online and show's registration history/km's, accident history and a rev's certificate. Naturally you want to get as much documentation about the car as possible from the owner, and ensure it all matches up with the VIN/import sticker/engine block stamp (make sure you cite this in person). I got a mechanic mate to come along with me - if you don't have one get a full inspection done, definitely worth the money. You should also test drive more than one, unless you have driven skylines in the past, to get an idea of how the car feels compared to other examples.

In terms of being thrashed, whether the km's are legit etc - its all hard to corroborate. Give aways are adjustable boost controllers, lower tread on the rear tyres compared to the front, tyre rubber stuck on the inner rear guards, heavy steering wheel/handbrake/arm rest wear. I'm sure others on here could give you a lot of other things to look for. Also recommend you check out this guide for a comprehensive check list.

Also, evaluate the individual - I don't like to stereotype but it all adds to painting a clearer picture of the vehicle. How long have they owned the car? genuine reason for sale? what other cars do/have they owned? mature enthusiast or 21y.o flat brimmer?

Last piece of advice is to be patient - if it seems too good to be true it most probably is. You have to be prepared to wait for that honest example to come along, it will be worth the wait. Good luck!

Edited by sonnyQ

Also, evaluate the individual - I don't like to stereotype but it all adds to painting a clearer picture of the vehicle. mature enthusiast or 21y.o flat brimmer?

lol and very true. Honestly, as bad as it sounds, that is the first thing I do - I can't help but feel the same way about the car as the owner. If the owner is a toss, the car is likely to be treated in that way.

then, once you pay for it before parking it anywhere on the goldy...

alarm and immobiliser and then

Comprehensive insurance

Haha, it seems like this is the best advice going around at the moment.

Edited by wilorichie

+1000000 to an alarm and immobilizer, everyday there seems to be another heart breaking stolen thread. Get Chris to hook you up with a PROPERLY installed set up, and get comprehensive insurance or at least fire and theft.