SAU Community

Hose Heat Protection

Hanaldo

Hey all,

I did a bit of a search but not exactly sure which terms to use so didn't find anything of much use.

I'm looking for something to protect all my vacuum/air-con/similar hoses from heat; I found over the weekend that a lot of my hoses on the exhaust side of the engine bay have gone hard and many are cracked. The ones on my boost controller solenoid in particular were completely shot and that is only about a year old. Short of using fire sleeve, what do people generally use to protect their hoses? Does the silver wrap from factory on the heater hoses actually do much, it doesn't look like it would be very effective?

Any suggestions would be well appreciated,

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by Hanaldo

I bought some silver reflective stuff off Go Gear, which will work fine for anything not too close to the turbo. But it is a wrap rather than a sleeve.

Similar to this

http://www.heatshiel...lect-tape/69/22

I've got some of that stuff lying around, I used it as an outside layer on heatshields, but it seems an arduous task wrapping little vacuum hoses with it... Was hoping someone may have found something maybe like conduit that could quite easily go around the hoses.

A lot of these hoses are quite close to the turbo as well, I'd like to reroute as many as I can to keep them as far away as possible, but some of them it's just unavoidable, eg. wastegate lines, boost controller lines, etc. etc.

the problem with any of those heat wraps, conduits, shields, what ever is the heat from your turbo and dump etc is extreme and still melts the plastic from the wire over time..

without needing to drill any holes I was able reroute all the wires that ran down that side, out into the guard, up near the windscreen ( runs between inner guard and guard liner ) and back into the engine bay near the headlight,..

Problem solved :thumbsup:

the problem with any of those heat wraps, conduits, shields, what ever is the heat from your turbo and dump etc is extreme and still melts the plastic from the wire over time..

without needing to drill any holes I was able reroute all the wires that ran down that side, out into the guard, up near the windscreen ( runs between inner guard and guard liner ) and back into the engine bay near the headlight,..

Problem solved :thumbsup:

Yeh works for wires, but not the vacuum hoses or heater lines. The heat from my turbo is destroying all the rubber hoses on that side, and in the instance of the wastegate/boost controller lines, that could cause some serious problems if I don't catch them in time...

one of the sites i worked at up north used to cut the factory sleeving off injector harnesses on new engines before fitment and used a fibreglass sleeve simular to the red sleeving you see on peoples oil drains. was about half inch diamter and thinner than the red stuff but was effective. tooks years or so of contant 24/7 operations to make the wires hard and brittle compared to factory. i have put aside 10m or so as i rewire mine in the next month or so. i have it in black and yellow. will have a look for part number and price if your keen. :thumbsup:

would heat wrap work?

Possibly, but again it sort of seems a bit more effort than it's worth. I'm talking about 4-6mm hoses, so to wrap all of these with something like exhaust wrap (I assume that's what you mean by heat wrap?) or heat reflective tape would be quite a job.

I did find these two products on the website that Paul posted:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/heat-shield-sleeves/thermaflect-sleeve-hook-and-loop/61/44

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/heat-shield-sleeves/hp-hose-sleeve/59/44

Those look like what I was hoping for, don't suppose anyone has any experience with these or similar products??

hey mate ive got my ass hanging at work so havent been able to upload photos. internal diamter is 10mm and costs $4 a metre. will try get photo or 2 up tonight

You can get this stuff? I need some for oil/water lines and boost lines around the turbo.. $4/m is quite acceptable!

oh the farken issues ive had trying to get these photos uploaded, if it wasnt the camera it was the computer usb then the computer in general etc.

the $4 a metre applies to the yellow one you see here. i havent found the part number of the black one yet but im guessing it will be simular. i also need to find out if it can be sold in smaller boxes but i think it can be bought by the cm

post-24655-0-02595500-1322305476_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-19585000-1322305520_thumb.jpg

We've used a product called fire sleeve with good success.

red stuff? if so that stuff is the goods :thumbsup: but ive never seen it in a size that is practical for vacumn lines. but perfect for turbo oil lines etc :thumbsup:

Yeh that's it. Fire sleeve is also hugely expensive, I couldn't afford enough of it to cover everything that needs to be covered.

Thanks a lot for that Trev, I appreciate it thumbsup.gif Do you know what temperature that stuff is rated to??