SAU Community

Random Beeping From M35

NickM91

G'day,

Just after some thoughts on a random beeping I'm getting from behind/under the steering wheel.

I walked out to the car, put some stuff in the boot then went to the front to get in and there was no electrics at all. Popped the bonnet and found that the earth lead to the battery was loose, cleaned it out and out it back on. As soon as I did that low and behold the electrics came on, and this beeping noise from under the dash.

All my trip computers settings, clock etc have reset. When I start the car the beeping stops when the ignition is on, and then, about 5 seconds after it's started Theres one longer

beep and all seems normal.

The beeping is three short beeps at 3 second intervals. It keeps going even if the car is locked...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

Battery is supposedly only 3-4 months old. And if it's anything to go by the volt meter is saying 14v, exactly where it has been since I bought it. Hmm

Apologies for the mistakes, on the trusty iPhone in the car!

Do you have an alarm fitted, perhaps it may be indicating that its backup battery is rooted? No idea if any brands actually do this, just a thought :)

Battery is supposedly only 3-4 months old. And if it's anything to go by the volt meter is saying 14v, exactly where it has been since I bought it. Hmm

Apologies for the mistakes, on the trusty iPhone in the car!

Isn't the volt meter showing alternator output to the battery?

If the earth is dodgy it will be charging the battery less effectively than the meter is showing.

Just thinking out loud, i've never really looked to verify.

the volt meter shows the battery voltage, when its being charged its around 13.9-14.4v (or something like that)

check when the engine isnt running, if its around 12v then start the car and see how low it drops.

also check earth wires there behind the drivers kick panel. if the alarm installer used wiring there, they may have inadvertantly removed something

Thanks for the input guys, I'll not the volts before and just after start in a sec.

I'll have to get in and have a look at what is actually making the beeping when I get back to Sydney, driving down from tamworth today so fingers crossed it causes me no issues on the way down.

On another note are there any stagea cruises happening in the next 3 weeks?

Made it back to Sydney without turning the car off :P

Anyway I checked the terminals again on the battery, turns out they were both loose, so i took them off and gave them a bit of a scrub with a wire brush put them back on and all seems fine *touches some wood*

Starts as normal, and there's no beeping any more.

Cheers

Nick