SAU Community

Unusual Road Feel After Wheel Alignment

Oppression

G'day SAU,

I had new rubber and a 4wheel alignment on my S2 Stagea over the weekend. Shortly after leaving the tyre shop I could feel a kind of mild bounce in the front end while driving in a straight line, RPM is stable and I have no miss etc so I'm pretty sure it has to be related to the front wheels? It is only bad at mild engine load (normal driving), feels almost like one of the front tyres is semi flat but on inspection they seem the same pressure, I'll stop in at the servo on the way home to make sure. I'll take it back to the tyre shop when I finish work today but thought you lads might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Brand new tyres so no flat spots? Decent brand?

All balanced?

Wheel nuts all properly tightened?

Tested your shocks? - push each side of your front down realy hard and let go - it should come up and stop dead. If it goes up and down again the shocks are stuffed.

• 3 weeks later...

Anti-sway bar was pushed hard over to one side (about an inch or so off center) and if I pull the 4wd fuse the problem completely goes away... CV's Maybe?

Just strange the problem wasn't there before I got new rubber and an alignment but appeared 10mins after leaving the tyre shop.

And yea I know its prob not a good idea to drive round with the fuse pulled but not removing the front drive shaft, was only for diagnosis

I obviously suffer from some sort of mental retardation, It couldn't possibly be CV's due to the fact they are one of the components that will turn regardless weather or not they are being driven by the engine. Maybe transfer box, drive shaft maybe or one of those lil uni's, guess the drive shaft'll have to come off. Save that I'll have to have someone that knows what they are doing to have a look =`(

If you don't want to pay to get the wheels rebalanced try swapping them front to back and see if that makes any difference. Have a good look to see if any balance weights have fallen off.

Did you get all 4 done or just the fronts? I've had just the fronts done in the past and had old fronts moved to the rear and it has caused this issue. The difference in rolling diameter between front and rear screws with the attessa system. If you did just get the fronts done swap front to rear and I'll almost gurantee it goes way. And yes it is that sensitive

You lads are the best, that was my problem all along, I only had the fronts done but the fitter must have mixed them up I spose 'coz I had asked for all 4 to be balanced, swapped 'em round and she drives perfect thanks very much.

Had a minor drama removing the rear passenger wheel as one of the nuts was cross threaded on the stud and I assume done up with an air gun as it sheared off while removing it (I didn't have a choice), all good old mate from Tyreright Yatala and I were up for a chat anyway after his poor after sales service.

Thanks again