SAU Community

Tacho Not Working

Yesterday, I took my GTT out for a spirited ride. The combination meter was working fine when I started the car but I hit a lot of bumps getting on the freeway. Now, my combination metter cluster doesn't read my RPMs and the needle stays at 0. Moreover, my Apexi AVC-R doesn't read RPM either (as well as it's stop reading injector strength). Ironically, when I hit bumps the tacho works for a couple of seconds then goes back to 0 when the road is straight. What's going on?

Maybe this ECU pinout diagram wil help you ensure you checked the correct wires -

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/366040-shift-light-help/

I had a similar issue with my R33, mine ended up being a dry joint on the back of the cluster itself. Years of 'bumpy roads' shook it loose. Mine would come in and out aswell. But your issue may be different if its not showing on the AVC-R either? Unless they are somehow connected?

I reflowed the back of my cluster with a rework station and flux to ensure all the joints were stable. if yoru not confident with this, you could always just use a soldering iron.

Maybe this ECU pinout diagram wil help you ensure you checked the correct wires -

http://www.skylinesa...ift-light-help/

I had a similar issue with my R33, mine ended up being a dry joint on the back of the cluster itself. Years of 'bumpy roads' shook it loose. Mine would come in and out aswell. But your issue may be different if its not showing on the AVC-R either? Unless they are somehow connected?

I reflowed the back of my cluster with a rework station and flux to ensure all the joints were stable. if yoru not confident with this, you could always just use a soldering iron.

I think that's the issue there, bud. I wired my MFD into the ECU. My ECU, AVC-R, and combination cluster are all connected together via a splice connector. I didn't have much space so I stuffed all my wires behind the cluster and screwed it back in place. Perhaps, there's a little bit too much pressure.

pinch.gif

Fantastic, thats a great starting point.

Now, do you have a friend or access to a spare cluster that you can plug in to verify this?

If it is the cluster, you can either obviously replace the cluster or you can try and repair the existing tacho - standard soldering iron, flux and and some solder will do the trick. Just retouch all of the joints for it.

And for the future, maybe extend your wires and plant them back behind the centre stereo / air con vents - plenty of room behind there.

Fantastic, thats a great starting point.

Now, do you have a friend or access to a spare cluster that you can plug in to verify this?

If it is the cluster, you can either obviously replace the cluster or you can try and repair the existing tacho - standard soldering iron, flux and and some solder will do the trick. Just retouch all of the joints for it.

And for the future, maybe extend your wires and plant them back behind the centre stereo / air con vents - plenty of room behind there.

I have a brand new Nismo cluster installed about 2 weeks ago. I don't think it's the cluster but, yeah, I have the stock cluster that I can use. I wanted to move the wires around but I got lazy and just left them there. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, mate, I fixed the problem a couple of days ago. I made a wiring harness for my MFD:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/221016-r34-gtr-mfd-in-gtt/page__view__findpost__p__6165983

and stuffed everything behind the combination meter. Some of the wires had broken off the harness per all the pressure behind the combination cluster. I rewired everything and put all the harness ending behind the radio, underneath the MFD.

Everything is working perfect now: RPM on my Nismo cluster and my Apexi... My MFD is even reading injector which it wasn't before when I initially installed it. I just hate seeing that Oil Temp gauge now working. I can't wait to until the Nismo upgrade. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Ok, the mystery continues with the oil temperature and my MFD. At first I thought I didn't have an oil temperature sensor but I got my Skyline from the shop 2 weeks ago (where they removed the plenum to rework my vacuum lines) and now my oil temperature reads when I driving fast. The Oil Temp gauge on the MFD used to not read ANYTHING but now it does but only when I'm driving hard. It seems like a wire is lose. Any suggestions?