SAU Community

Sealants Vs Humidity

GTR-N1

I don't have any qualms about using polish on a humid day before applying a sealant: nor do I have qualms about applying wax, preferably at least a day after putting on a sealant but also on a humid day.

But is it true that some if not all sealants can have some difficulty adhering to the paint if there's 80-90%+ water vapour in the air? I've heard that a particular sealant can go a bit milky if applied on a rainy day (of course, in the garage).

Analogy whether it's true or false: Homy Ped shoes sometimes have recalls on their shoes when a batch tends to lose their soles (as they peel off) & it's traced back to the adhering of soles on rainy days.

Comment?

• 3 weeks later...

most sealants will require different bonding times depending on the weather conditions. Humidity and temperature need to be taken into account. A very rough rule is if it's humid, add an extra minute or so of bonding time, the same for it it's cold.

Obviously sealants are all designed differently, so i would imagine if it's a higher end product, they would have accounted for this and provided the correct application procedure info depending on conditions.

it can be a tricky thing because even if you think you've applied it all correctly, you don't really know until the next rain/storm event if you've applied it correctly or not, although you should get some sense whilst washing the car, the washing characteristics will give you an idea of how successful the application was. Not much to tell you what's happening at the time of application unfortunately.