SAU Community

Is This Lean?

Gday All, got my cefiro up and running with a few mods(car was bought minus motor and box). It seems to go ok by the seat of my pants

but after a short drive I pulled my plugs to check the gap (0.8mm)and this is what they look like.

post-86037-0-01295900-1331248128_thumb.jpg

post-86037-0-45555900-1331248452_thumb.jpg

It is already booked in for a dyno this week but the shop is 1/2 an hour away-is this safe to drive that far?

Mods:

Bosch 044 fuel pump

GTR injectors-clean and tested ok

Z32 AFM

GT2871 turbo

FMIC

3 inch turbo back exhaust

ECU remap-tuner has checked and confirmed against his other files that its correct for my mods.

thanks for any help

Jes

Yeah these are copper plugs, I didnt know whether to go 6 or 7 heat series as there are tons of guys doing both,

my tuner said 6 so I did that. what would the difference be with a 7 plug?

Jes

it's just a safe measure, 7 will stay cooler when the engine is running above standard measures. Lower the risk of pre ignition. Repco should have them, super shit won't.

Edited by SargeRX8

Where can you get BCPR7ES? I can only seem to find 6's and no one has the 7's in their system.

I've bought many sets of 7's and each time either Bursons or Repco have had them in stock

Its very hard to tell lean and rich from plugs when you are running fuel with no lead in it.

What I can tell you is that your cylinder temps are too cold for that plug or your plug is too cold for your cylinder temps.

The white porcelain of the plug should be clean and white much further up the plug than where it is.

You could run a 5 in your engine, or lean it out to up your cylinder temps.

Its very hard to tell lean and rich from plugs when you are running fuel with no lead in it.

What I can tell you is that your cylinder temps are too cold for that plug or your plug is too cold for your cylinder temps.

The white porcelain of the plug should be clean and white much further up the plug than where it is.

You could run a 5 in your engine, or lean it out to up your cylinder temps.

His op said, new plugs out after a short drive. I really doubt that short drive is substantial time to darken the porcelain...

umm I think we are talking about different bits.

Im talking about the part that is in the combustion chamber. Can be made black from cold start and only a few min of running.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• I've got 60L of e85 in there at the moment
    • Don't forget to make sure the tank is full to the brim before you try to replace the fuel pump too, that is an essential step.
    • No, 260RS/4wd stagea is 33 GTR/GTS4 double wishbone all round, not struts. The 2wd cars are confusingly strut front. At there rear there is one balljoint at the outer end of the lower control arm. If you have HICAS (my Stagea doesn't, but I think 260RS did, there will be a balljoint of sorts where the HICAS arm attaches to the rear of the hub At the front, there are ball joints either end of the lower control arm, plus the tie rod end for the steering arm
    • So, 2 months later, I just couldn't see any way to be happy with that tank setup. Basically the baffle area is too big and too leaky, the sender was miles off and the no low fuel light thing really bugs me. Other than the fact the fuel hat could safely supply enough power to the pump, it was worse than factory. Biggest thing that bugged me is it would still run out of fuel in medium-high g corners from about 1/4 tank down which is annoying when you are trying to have a zoom, not to mention potentially engine killing if it gets just the right amount of lean-ness....and we've got a few of those corners in our round trip to town (well, bunnings...) So, credit to Frenchy's, they have put together a much better designed setup with what is effectively an in tank surge setup.   As it happens the actual hat is the same, so I switched the fittings across, re-used the single 525 pump, and added a spare pierburg lift pump that I had (must remember to replace that stock, it was a spare for the race car). The only real work to get it all done was to add a second power and earth to the hat which I did by going from a single output to double output relay (very low draw on the lift pump) and also the sender unit that clips into the factory pump holder was again way too loose (so I re-used the 2mm shims from the previous setup). Finally, I added the low fuel light sender from the factory cradle. So....I'll report back how it handles low fuel, and if the sender has any relation to actual fuel level in the tank....
    • Welcome to Sydney's top source for superb natural marble tiles, your dependable Natural Marble Tile Suppliers. With years of industry experience, we take pride in providing the highest quality marble tiles supplied from the best quarries around the world. Our broad assortment demonstrates the eternal beauty and elegance of natural marble, which is ideal for enhancing the aesthetic appeal of any environment, whether residential or commercial. At our Sydney showroom, you'll find a wide range of marble tiles in a variety of colors, patterns, and finishes, each carefully chosen for its unique beauty and exceptional quality. Our dedication to perfection guarantees that each tile meets the highest standards of durability and craftsmanship, making them excellent for floors, walls, bathrooms, kitchens, and other applications.