SAU Community

Intercooler to suit RB30ET (low boost)

Gday All,

I have just turboed my NA RB30, and having retained the 9:1 compression will be running 9psi as an absolute max. Im running the T3 off the VL.

I have an s13 180sx cooler (approx 170x210x50) but apparently its way to small to handle the volume required by a 3.0L. I have been searching around here but all i can find is cheap R33 coolers and threads on ditching them for big FMICs.

What size is an R33 GTS-T cooler? Will it flow well enough for my application? Are there better (not GT-R) stock coolers around that can be had for cheap? Ie $150 or less? Or do I go for a Mk4 Supra cooler which i can get for $150?

Advice please!

Cheers,

Brent

2 options i see:

get 2 R33 (or similar) coolers and mount them in parallel if you have room and appropriate piping skills. this will work well me thinks

or buy some sort of intercooler on ebay. you can get some aftermarket items for about 500 on there which will suit your requirements more than one stock r33 cooler.

waz.

or get an intercooler water spray (not very reliable for detonation prevention though)

or try a water injection system

I was going to go for a DIY water spray onto the cooler.. not into the intake, but obviously a spray kit isnt going to compensate for an insufficient cooler.

Brent.

the jza80 TT supra intercooler is not the same size as a GTST cooler.

the CORE ONLY size is 230 wide x 275 high x 130 thick.

then there is the end tanks.

with end tanks it is..

350 wide on top and 290 wide on bottom.

and the inlet and outlet are in the wrong position for mouting in the passenger side.. as they are on the drivers side on the supras...

As you may have guessed, I've travelled this path before..

UNSUCCESSFULLY

I bought mine for $200 and sold it for $200