SAU Community

Battery Drains Overnight ?

So I have stumbled into an electrical problem.

I have an RB20DET in an S13 which was originally a CA18.

Everything electrical works fine.

Currently running a CA18 alternator as the one on it was shit.

Car starts and runs fine.

Getting a reading of 14.2V when started and 12.9V when off (battery is 2 weeks old).

However, I hadn't started the car in 2 days and when I went to start it, it didn't budge. Battery was reading 0.9V

Hooked it up to a charger and charged it overnight. 12.9V again, car started fine, was reading 14.2V whilst on and 13.8 under load.

Once again, drained overnight again.

Now, I put a test light and between the negative battery post and the earth cable (obviously not seperated) and started pulling out the fuses one by one to find the culprit. Once connected, the test light was glowing showing load on the battery when car was turned off.

I noticed when I touched the negative post with the test light connected to the ground cable, a relay next to the ECU would flick on.

So I went through the fuses and when I removed the Eng Cont (Engine Continuity ?) fuse, the test light turned off so it seems the load is coming from there.

I have read in other places that a specific orange wire on one of the relays off the ECU could be removed, anyone have any coverage on this ? I'm assuming this to be the culprit.

There are 2 ENG CONT fuses, one is a 10AMP and one is a larger style fuse which is a 25AMP. The 25AMP fuse seems to be the one pulling the load.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cabramatta

UPDATE:

I cut the Orange wire coming off one of the green relays as per another thread on SAU and it has 0 draw now with power off.

Question is, is it okay to run the car like this ? As it still runs and drives fine.. Just don't want to damage the ECU that's all.

Edited by cabramatta

After reading countless threads, I have come to the conclusion that it should be OK to run it like this.

I was worried that the ECU might have to always 're-learn' if it would completely turn off.

Now it goes on when the ignition is on and there is completely ZERO draw on my battery when the car is switched off.

Edited by cabramatta