SAU Community

New To Forum! Would Love Some Advice!

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I apologies if I have posted in the wrong section. This forum is quite large. I hope to get my feet here and chat with some great people.

As my first post I feel rude for asking, however I am about to buy my first skyline R33 GTS-T I'm a complete noob with cars. Been into super sport bikes mostly. Wouldgreatly appreciate any advice/assistance on the car I'm buying. Here is the link to the car sales ad. Thanks heaps in advance for any advice or knowledge on this.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-skyline-1996-12761797?postcode=3844&Range=Price:Min,Max~1&eapi=2&silo=Stock&base=1216&cr=0&sort=default&__N=4294739749%204294950381%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963846%204294963593%201216&vertical=Car&distance=25

5k is cheap, but if it is making that much power and he's only asking 5k for it then it will have problems. plus it has a home made front facing plenum out of the stock plenum. that's a good way to lean out the rear cyclinders

plenum is the intake chamber (the bit the throttle body bolts to). and leaning out is bad. it means too much air and not enough fuel. this eventually leads to engine failure

It may be a good idea to look for something closer to stock and build it up yourself.

Normally, the cars which have not been heavily modified would have had an easier life. And if you do the mods yourself - you know they will be done properly.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Hey thanks for the advice. Very sound. Appreciate it. Just seemed like a really good buy. Wasn't overly concerned if it wasn't 100% was just keen to jump into something cheap as a starter. If you guys think it will be a clapper, I'd say I'll have to get it checked over first more closely. The guy who owns it works on oil rigs and from what I have seen, seems he has more money than what he knows to do with. He has about 8 cars, 2 of those are Silvia's. Figured he just wanted to get rid of it :-(

that car looks battered man. hence the price tag.. save up a little more and get a nice clean one

One thing i will say mate get it RACQ checked (QLD Inspection), when i bought my V35 i got the mastercheck which was pricey but it gave me 7 pages of information right from it's origin and very detailed every component inside and outside of the car. But if your just looking to jump into something and don't mind, go for it.

But i know if you buy it, and it's a piece of shit, your going to be spewing you lost $5,000.

Goodluck with the purchase man :)

If its a piece of shit is it still worth $5k though? Is there a Victorian RACQUET check? Like RACV checks?

The ones I'm aware of seem dodgy. Our local RACV service provider (mechanics) is pretty ordinary.

Lol RACV check*

I went to check it out, I had a look over it. Seemed fine. He took me on a test driven it. When he took drove it he gave it some curry for me and it went sideways at a T intersection at about (I think) 140kph. Engine peaked and successful drift right upto 4th. The only negative (other than cosmetics on bumper) was the battery died after leaving the interior light on for 30 minutes. He had to roll start it and he cringed, he said never to roll start them because they don't like it and not good for them,is this true or a massive warning sign something is seriously wrong?

The other thing that had me raise eyebrows at was he swears it had work don't to the engine at boost worx QUEENSLAND, however I can't locate a boost worx in qld but I could in SA. I called them and showed them the car sales advertisement. They say they don't know the car (or the Vic reg) but the engine looked familiar/something they would have done. They also told me going by the sticker on the rear window the work would have been performed at minimum 3-4 years ago. I know the guy who is selling it has owned it for less than 12 months. He said the engine was sent to get the work done not the car (this was said BEFORE I rang boost worx SA) so the 2 storys add up but says he didn't do it, a previous owner to him did. Vicroads confirmed it has been owned in a few different states so that made a more viable story than what I was told. I think the only wrong he told me, or rather implied is HE got the work done to it. Boost worx couldn't locate it by its current reg (as they save it in the database by reg not engine.... Um that's a bit silly but ok)

So my conclusion -

He didn't Get the work by boost worx done

Boost worx THINK it's had work by them (engine only)

Vicroads confirm its been registered by owners in other states

Car has a bloody LOT of power

Owner was quite educated on engine capabilities (and modifications)

Another issue (minor) I tried entering the vin into car history.com and it couldn't located the vin, which seems like it hasn't been registered in (I think) Nsw or qld (I'm pretty sure that's all car history/revs is linked too)

that car looks battered man. hence the price tag.. save up a little more and get a nice clean one

Agreed! There are so many on the market, spend another few k and get one in good nick! Why buy one for $5k, which may be cheap, to then have to spend another 5k fixing it? Just my opinion, I spent not a huge amount more on mine and its clean and I know the history.