SAU Community

How To Tell The Difference Between A Rb20 Non Turbo To A Rb20 Turbo Rwd Manual Gearbox

G'day

I've recently been given what I've been told is a manual transmisson out of a rb20

I'm just wondering how can you tell the difference between the turbo and non turbo box? Or if there is a difference between them?

I've looked everywhere on the net and can't seem to find any information on it.

Thanks in advanced, sorry if this has already been covered in this forum.

And RB25DE box is also the same.

But the ratios are not all the same. When I put RB25DE box into my R32, it was noticeably different gearing in 2nd and 5th. I'm pretty sure that the RB20DE ratios are the lowest of the lot.

Ah too easy!

Cheers for the help, been searching all morning and couldn't find nothing lol.

Actually, what kind of power can they handle?

My gearbox I got now behind my rb30 has crapped itself and I got this box just as a quick fix for the time being, I've got about 230 rwkw, how long do you reckon it will survive for before im back To square one?

Cheers again for the replies

And RB25DE box is also the same.

But the ratios are not all the same. When I put RB25DE box into my R32, it was noticeably different gearing in 2nd and 5th. I'm pretty sure that the RB20DE ratios are the lowest of the lot.

Unless it's out of an R33 in which case it will have an electric speed sender

No. R33 RB25DE box is the same same as the R32 box (in the speedo hole). The electric sender in the NA box is not the same as the electric sender in the turbo box. No need for Navara hybrid drives. Just pull out original and stick in R32 cable. As far as I can remember, anyway. Was 7 or 8 years ago.

No. R33 RB25DE box is the same same as the R32 box (in the speedo hole). The electric sender in the NA box is not the same as the electric sender in the turbo box. No need for Navara hybrid drives. Just pull out original and stick in R32 cable. As far as I can remember, anyway. Was 7 or 8 years ago.

Oh you meant that. I thought you were joking lol.

I've never swapped the N/A 32 vs 33 senders, only turbo/navara mod ones. (I am fully aware the senders turbo vs n/a are different though)

Ah too easy!

Cheers for the help, been searching all morning and couldn't find nothing lol.

Actually, what kind of power can they handle?

My gearbox I got now behind my rb30 has crapped itself and I got this box just as a quick fix for the time being, I've got about 230 rwkw, how long do you reckon it will survive for before im back To square one?

Cheers again for the replies

they can handle a fair bit of power, its the torque that kills them, because your putting whats ment to be for a 2000cc engine onto the back of a 3000cc engine

it wont last very long especially if you have a HD clutch, that bitch will die fast as f**k if you like to put your foot down alot and if you take off in the wrong gear you gonna snap all that shit up in there lol

your best bet is to spend that extra cash, get yourself an RB25DET box and tailshaft, get the tailshafts glued together by a workshop, and V-WALLA!! a box that will handle the

shit you put it through

Thanks mungy for the feedback.

I recently found out a couple bearings in the box I'm gonna use have collapsed, drained the old oil out of it and a fair few hunks and chunks came out with it, instead of playing around with that might look into adding some cash and picking up a stronger box, seeing as I'm gonna through more cash into some more horses, I'll end up at square one lol?

trust me i ran a RB20 box in my RB30ET and killed it first week i had it, bought a second hand one to get me around while i saved for a 25 box and blew that the next week :dry:

borrowed some cash for a 25 box and shaft, had no troubles with it to the day i sold it