SAU Community

M35 Dump Pipe Help

Footo

Hi guys

First time poster long time reader.

I am looking at getting the dump pipe up grade on my m35 arx. So I headed to my local muffler workshop and said they'd be happy to do a custom one but said that I should look into error codes as some of the cars they do will throw an error code when putting dumps on them.. Couldn't find anything about them on SAU was wondering if there is any info on this?

Also went to my local mechanic to inquire about the dump error code and he told me that the dumps on them are fine because when imported they change the dump out. Mine seems to look the same as restricted ones on the forum. Just need some clarification..

So rather confused at the moment

Thanks

Both people you have talked to are misinformed or idiots.

Muffler shop first- It will not throw a CEL due to the dump pipe. The sensor in the dump pipe in the NM35 is a Narrowband O2 sensor that allows the ECU to add or trim/add fuel on light throttle applications. Changing the dump to a more efficient unit does not change the effectiveness of this sensor, however you will have to remove it from the factory unit, and replace it in (Scottys) after market dump pipe.

Mechanic - while being correct about it not throwing CELS, he is incorrect, as compliance shops do NOT change the dump pipe during the compliance process. They change the catalytic converters to more efficient, newer (and probably more restrictive) units. They may add extra cats too. To my knowledge the NM35 does not have catalytic effectiveness sensors like the V/PM35/z33