SAU Community

Rb20det need help

So I have an rb20det in a 1989 r32 I'm having an issue where the car get put onto "limp mode" where it panics at 2500 rpm I thought I had fixes it with a slight adjustment to my MAF driving all the way to chiba and back with no issues. But today the issues came back and started causing havoc. When the issue is happening I'll get issues with throttle where I'm giving it throttle but nothing happening. Also it dies and does not want to come back on its crank and turnover but it will die almost immediately after.

The engine is stock, and all I did was twist the maf so it wasn't so tight against the what I believe is a catch can of sorts. I took the map off today and then used cleaner on it(MAF Cleaner) and once again the car is showing no signs of issues again. But my fear is it will begin again or that's just one of multiple issues and it's possibly something else. I'm very new to working on cars.

ok so you have a catch can, so it isn't stock.
i'm guessing oil on MAF wire, and it's broken (hence why it won't rev over 2,000 rpm). You'll need to find another MAF.

18 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

ok so you have a catch can, so it isn't stock.

Maybe the charcoal canister?

• Like 1

So I ordered a new MAF it could be a charcoal canister I've checked the wire and I don't see any oil on it but would it be wise to replace the wire harness too for it or just wait till I get the new one and see if the issues pop up again?

49 minutes ago, Igotnothin said:

I've checked the wire

49 minutes ago, Igotnothin said:

replace the wire harness

Not the same thing, in case you were confused. The "wire" he spoke of is the heated wire, which is the sensing element inside the AFM.