SAU Community

Tom's C33 Laurel

Thomasino

yes they do , can confirm the bracket is the same for the hand brake on 33 too . with the cross member , i vaguely remember 33 fit straight in , but i can't remember if that was with the 33 box or what , but there is a crossmember that bolts to the factory holes from an auto to manual conversion with 20 box

Yeah toffy that would be the 'B' cross member. It's just like I described I needed; the A (or C, seemingly the same) to be inverted. Perfect fit.

Danny I have the pipes but not with a BOV on them. Would like one with a BOV already.

• 6 months later...

what been happing with this car??? must say one of my fav laurels

I bought it! Found this thread while randomly searching for bits of Laurel information. Turns out I have an SAU account for some reason. Was good to see the posts here line up with Tom's comments when I checked out the car.

Anyway, I'll be able to use this now cause I've got plenty of questions already.

The first one being has anyone swapped out the horrible front door 6x4's for some normal 6's/6.5's? They look to be extremely shallow mount and I haven't really looked at clearance on a retracted window or on the inside of the door trim...

i have 6.5" component speakers in my laurel. i just cut the plastic housing away and made it fit 6.5" speakers

Didn't run into any clearance issues with the magnet and the window while down or anything like that? It looks a bit squeezy, are they reasonable big deep woofers?

Oh and did you find any best places for the tweeters or just chuck them on the dash? I'll check out your thread now, thanks.

nah wasn't to bad. my components have the tweeters built in. but id avoid putting the tweeters to high. it can be very over powering and mess with the sound stage, try and have them as close to the woofers as possible.

in my r31 coupe i actually got a hole saw and cut holes just about the woofers and flush mounted them. looked like they were factory fitted and sounded amazing

Thanks Danny. Yeah I've spent plenty of time with SQ systems in other cars just never had to deal with a 6x4 before! I will trim the mounts and hopefully they can deal with a 6.5'' without needing MDF spacers or anything. I'm more a fan of mounting the tweeters high and then using the crossovers to dim them down if they are super bright and horrible.

Sam the car as I bought it has a big ding in the driver's side rear door so it's not in the best nick for photos! I had planned on getting it fixed straight away and buying some new coilovers and rims, but the car I was selling got stolen so now I have no money for any of that stuff, really frustrating. I'll take some snaps (on the passenger side :P ) soon

• 2 weeks later...

yeah fair call mate.

shouldnt have to much issue gettin 6.5" to fit in there.

Had a go at it, the 6.5's were fouling on the little water cover type guard on back of the plastic mount. realised they weren't gonna have enough plastic to screw into solidly anyway, so the 6x4's remain in haha.

• 2 weeks later...