SAU Community

V36 Peeling Steering Wheel Solution

Hi Guys as topic states I have a V36 and the steering wheel surround is beginning to look very unattractive with all the peeling over time of the original rubber like paint. Those who own a V36 will know what I am talking about.

Has anyone found a solution or even better got the part number from Nissan??

Help would be appreciated.

I have the same issues! But if you we were to get a new part from Nissan...two years down the track the same thing will happen! So the solution that I am planning to do is either ripping all the rubber off then spray it whatever colour you want or get someone to wrap it with the 3m carbon vinyl...

only way will be to remove the steering wheel & paint it, pain in the ass taking it off.

how to take off the trim:

http://www.myg37.com...cement-diy.html

how to take off the steering wheel:

http://g35driver.com...rt-paddles.html

In the US they sell CF covers but they all have a cutout for steering wheel cruise control buttons :(.

you can wrap it yourself in CF vinyl too but I did this to my chrome door handle covers & they have started to bubble around some parts due to heat when the car is sitting in the sun, It's not really noticeable unless I point it out to people but I don't want this to happen to my steering wheel.

I plan on taking off my steering wheel in the near future when I have time & repaint the trim;

- use methylated spirit with a dishwashing sponge (the kind with the green scourer on the back) to take off the old paint

- 2 coats of primer then 3 coats of black semi-gloss paint

- I need to look into a clear coat that won't be too shiny when the sun reflects on the wheel

^ I used this same method when I repainted my R34GTt interior with great results but can't for the life of me remember the clear coat I used

this guy helped me source a new gear shifter, should be able to help you out: http://www.amayama.com/

probably your best bet, he was very helpful too

alternatively if the dealer has an up to date part system (FAST i think) you can just give them your VIN & it will bring up the whole parts listings

wouldn't surprise me if it cost silly money to get it in though

I'm painting mine because it would cost me $20 max in spray cans & will come up looking sweet :)

See what happens I guess.

I notice from your sig that you have the same front bar as mine. Do you know if it is an optional extra because most of the other ones I looked at had the long vents on both sides.