SAU Community

Andy's R34 Gtt

Hey all,

I chucked up a thread a few weeks ago. Must have done something wrong so here we go second time round.

Almost a year ago on the hunt for a JZX90 a gave up looking for a nice manual version and came across this R34 GTT at a cheap price.

It needed a bit of love but once I fixed a few things it goes great and to be honest I never thought I would own a skyline but I think it's a pretty nice car.

When I bought it, it had the standard bolt on modifications.

Factory bodykit

Rear spoiler removed

HKS pod filter

Front mount Intercooler

Spitfire coil packs

Full 3.5'' into 3'' turbo back exhaust

Turbosmart blowoff valve

A set of White Volk Challenge wheel

Mismatched coilovers Gabs in the front and BC's in the rear (going to get a set of matching coilovers in the near future)

04b4157e.jpg

be98dad5.jpg

The first thing I did was give it a mega service which included:

Front and rear brake rotors and pads

Water pump, Greddy timing belt and associated tensioners and pulleys

Cam and crank seals as well as half moon seals and rocker cover gaskets as they had started to go hard and leak a bit,

Flushed all brake and clutch fluid with motul 600 and gearbox with motul gear 300....it's awesome stuff and completly changed how the gearbox shifted.

534126_441008679257172_1761335831_n_zpsd8d312f6.jpg

After that it ran a lot better and I really started to enjoy driving it.

Then one day me and a mate got bored and decided to paint my intercooler piping and mesh on the bar purple =\

Bit over it now, probably going to paint it all black once I do a few other things.

5cf10219.jpg

05f10c7c.jpg

Over the last couple of months I have collected a few things to put in.

Cusco adjustable rear upper arms to make my rear tyres last a little longer

HICAS lock bar

HICAS rack ends

HICAS balljoints

Front rack ends

Front tie rod ends

and my favorite thing...a pair of red SR3 Recaros in awesome condition and picked them up for an awesome price.

Also picked up a pair of bride and juarn rails to put them in my car

47265_486982874659752_1603088905_n_zpsdd7aad78.jpg

Photo120_zps6eb9c4b2.jpg

Once that is all in and I sell a couple of my other cars my plans are:

A 1.5 way LSD, the Nissan viscous fury just isn't cutting it any more :P

ECU...looking at either Link/Vipec or PowerFC

Oil cooler and power steering cooler.

Turbo is starting to show signs of wear so in the short term I am just going to throw a good condition stock one one but down the track I am planning for a 3076R.

Since my coilovers aren't exactly matched to each other I am going to put a set of new once in to sort it out.

Once that is all in I will save for injectors, forward facing plenum (looking at a cut and shut GTR plenum on Wednesday..hoping it will clear my VCT)

Plans will probably change as they tend to do but that is where things stand at the moment.

Just waiting on some bits from Idealseat in Melbourne which will be coming tomorrow then I can throw the seats in and take some more pics to put up here.

Watch this space :P

• 11 months later...

Quick update.

I got hit by a cops wife a while ago, her insurance is covering it and the panel shop is just waiting for parts.

While it's in I am getting them to fix up any scratches and dents too.

481105_650667311624640_585929908_n.jpg

While its off the road I have replaced the worn out carpet and steering wheel that the leather was split and peeling on

1381442_687285967962774_877490965_n.jpg

Once it's back on the road I an going to fit the Greddy oil cooler and add a power steering cooler as well as replace my tired turbo and while that is off I have a cometic exhaust gasket, exhaust manifold studs (because knowing me i'm probably going to snap a few getting the manifold off), new oxygen sensor and a turbo gasket to fit as I have an exhaust leak somewhere and thought I may as well replace everything as it's all probably due for it.

Once that is all done I am thinking of going to a blitz or cooling pro return flow intercooler as it just seems a bit neater and replace the engine fan blade as the current one was trimmed to make my current return pipe fit.

Still have the stock turbo and ECU and running stock boost. The turbo is starting to show its age so I am looking into a highflow, gtrs or 3076r and a power FC or vipec/link ECU. In the mean time I will just throw a healthier turbo on to tide me over.

I am moving to melbourne at the end of the year so probably won't get any of that done until I have settled into a new house and job.

Power wise I am not really sure, I haven't put it on a dyno yet but guessing 150-160 maybe :S that is just a guess though.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for a call from the panel shop.

Oil cooler is on, just need to fab up a neater top bracket. It works it just doesn't look pretty. Fitted a factory AC thermo fan back as the one i was meant to have was never there.

Also got some more parts so tomorrow i'm going to flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat and radiator hoses and cap.

Should be all good for summer after all that.

post-88452-0-52198000-1383136223_thumb.jpg

post-88452-0-27958000-1383136331_thumb.jpg

The last couple of days I paid for a set of JIC magic coilovers, nismo solid shifter and a turbosmart plumb back BOV (because i am sick of the noise of my venting one and moving to vic so i really don't want unwanted attention from defect happy cops), a cold air box and hopefully picking up a goo condition turbo tomorrow to last until I can save for a highflow and work out what ECU I want. Calling the panel shop tomorrow and see if all my parts are there to take it in and get it on the road finally.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a stuff up ordering my partes at the panel shop so it's going to be a while before it's on the road. Hopefully it's sorted before i go on melbourne end of the year.

On the plus side, on the way to me in the post is a set of 17'' bronze LMGT4's, new stickers and centercaps, bronze work wheel nuts, a nismo solid shifter, a set of JIC Magic coilovers and a few other things.
Spent the day replacing my atmo BOV with a turbosmart plumb back one, 90% fitted a blitz turn flow intercooler, just need to pick up a 90 degree joiner for the stock piping to one of the cooler pipes and .... adjust some of the reo bar then I can start it and bleed the cooling system after doing the thermostat.

The cold air box isn't designed for a turnflow kit so I ordered one that I can use the stock piping with.

Also found the cause of the rattle I had coming off throttle and at idle...the wastegate actuator rod can rattle around.

I have an r32 actuator and a low km turbo to put on this weekend hopefully.

I just want to drive it again =\

Had a big day today. Turbo off....that took it's time, I don't think it had ever been off so lots of care to not snap any studs.

Got it off and found this.

post-88452-0-40485800-1384675075_thumb.jpg

Glad i'm replacing it haha. Swapped over the studs and elbow and added a 10psi actuator. Will throw the new one on tomorrow.

Also painted the cam and coil covers as well as the crossover pipe black.

post-88452-0-63166100-1384675116_thumb.jpg

While it was off i gave the throttle body a good clean, it needed it.

The most interesting thing was the compressioun test.

I did it stone cold because i wanted to see what cylinders were down when cold.

They all got 125psi except for 3 which had 115 (and 125 with some oil added) and 4 which had 120.

It's a lot better than i was expecting, it has 220,000 km on it so it's not that bad I guess.

While everything was off I threw in some new spark plugs.

Tomorrow is putting the new turbo on as well as new exhaust studs and a cometic exhaust gasket and new manifold studs, oil change, tighten oil cooler lines, fill with oil and coolant and start it.

I am happy with my new wheels.

post-88452-0-37519300-1384675029_thumb.jpg

Edited by azathoth

Spent the last few days putting in new exhaust studs, cometic exhaust gasket, new turbo gasket kit from Nissan with washers for hard lines into turbo, a low km r34 turbo with intact exhaust wheel. Also today my genuine nismo centre caps for the lmgt4's rocked up along with nismo stickers.

Car gets picked up on monday morning to go to the panel shop, booked in for a new windscreen when it comes out and just put 3 months rego on it.

Should have it back before I move to melbourne :w00t:

Have some more pictures.

post-88452-0-23990500-1384999963_thumb.jpg

low km turbo that i put a 10psi r32 actuator on.

post-88452-0-26828200-1385000065_thumb.jpg

cometic gasket on with new studs and engine covers painted black (took a few heat cycles for the smoke off the paint to stop)

post-88452-0-66052600-1385000164_thumb.jpg

centre caps and stickers

post-88452-0-40106400-1385000217_thumb.jpg

ready to put the bonnet on tomorrow and maybe give it a wash before it goes into the shop.

After doing the exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gaskets (some of the nuts were finger tight) as well as the oxygen sensor, AFM and throttle body clean, new plugs and cleaned out a stack of plugs with contact cleaner the throttle is so much more responsive, the miss on idle is gone and the exhaust is louder.

SOOOO keen to drive it now.