SAU Community

R34 Front Shocks/brake Disc Questions

lindz34

Hey lads

So quick story:

Planning on selling the rig after christmas, so I took it to get a roadworthy check so I had a month or two to get it all shmick before I part with her :(.

anyway I was expecting a few little niggly things here & there, but was instantly reminded of why regular maintenance & fixing things straight away is so important - 3 items needed to pass roadworthy & comments from the tester telling me he can't believe the condition for a 14 year old car :)

anyway so this is where my dilemma begins:

It's a 1998 R34 GT Coupe (manual)

& to pass roadworthy i need:

- new windscreen

- new front shocks

- new front brake rotors

I know that the GT rotors are smaller than the GT-T, but can someone tell me a good bang for buck rotor they have used? & in particular who stock GT rotors, not just GT-T items? (don't wanna chuck supercrap discs on it because i still need to drive it until it sells)

My main issue is the front shocks.

I remember reading somewhere that either the front shocks are the same & the rears are different compared to a GT-T or vice versa...something to do with eyelet vs fork mounting tabs.

I also remember either the front or rear was the same as a series 2 R33 GTST (not 100% sure on that one)

Can anyone clear this up for me & suggest a good bang for buck shock which is similar to OEM (will not be replacing rears as they are perfect apparantly) or are the OEM items not as expensive as you'd usually assume?

Wrong section I know but saves me from another thread - anyone want to recommend a windscreen place in Metro VIC?

Cheers for any answers guys!!

Try ISC Coilovers. They're fairly cheap and they should be able to sell you a new pair of just fronts for under $800 inc delivery. Don't trust second hand shocks, I made this mistake a year ago and would never buy second hand shocks again. In the end I got some ISC's in the rear and they've held up since, cost me about $750.

http://www.isc-performance.com/ - give them a call and get a quote

As for the windscreen, I would call around for quotes in your area.

As for rotors, I've been looking for some myself for my GTT, I've been leaning towards getting DBA's over RDA's as there seems to be too many bad stories about RDA's not being as good quality and warping. These two brands seem to be the main choices for the majority of people, although as you're selling your car maybe just look at getting some stock replacements. If you decide to get DBA's, the front for the GT are DBA 4963 - check the dba website for local suppliers!

- Front brake rotors - Nissan dealership - I think they are the same as the A32/A33 maxima and non brembo V35 - Not expensive.

- Front shocks are the same as R34 GTt and R33 GTSt

- Rear shocks are the same as R33 GTSt

- Windscreen - Try to polish it best you can - get a bit more life out of it.