SAU Community

R32 Coilover Issues, Tein Or Other?

Looking for some answers, any help would be much appreciated

I have a R32 Gtst with an RB26 set up for drift

Coilovers are TEIN HR's in the car now, the front rhs coilover is bent

Looking for options

Anyone know the difference between TEIN HR's and HA's ?

Anyone know the difference between TEIN Super street, HR's and HA's ?

I would like to just replace the front coilovers but can't find a pair

I can find second hand set of TIEN super streets with around 10,000 k's on them for $1000

Or do I buy another brand?

Hr's do not have dampening adjustment whilst Ha's do, that's the only difference, they both have height adjustment though.

You're gonna have to source out another front HR cos otherwise you're dampening will be different on both sides, would be weird.

Stick with teins if you wanna put it on the track for drifting ;)

• 4 weeks later...

How do I find out the spring rate of them?

The fronts say C040-7SC the rears say D040-PC, I'm guessing they are 4kg they look thin

I have HA's in the car they look like they have much thicker springs on the... Maybe I can swap the springs?

What spring rates would people recommend for drift?

The super streets are 4 kg F and R (see link). You will want to run some big sway bars, say 28mm front and 24mm rear to compensate for the softer spring rates. Or, potentially you could measure the spring rates of the HA's, swap out the springs in the SS's and calculate your sway bar size from there.

For reference, i'm running the Super Drifts which have 7kg springs up front and 5kg rear. With 24mm front and 22mm rear sway bars the car is really well balanced. It has a lot of grip, transitions quickly and has a heap of drive.

http://www.performance.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/tein-suspension-for/1991.08-1993.08-nissan-skyline-ecr32-gts-25-types/GSN18-B1SS3

Edited by White GTS-T

• 4 months later...

sorry to hijack thread a little but do you guys know the deal with adjusting the damping? apparently they are 16-stage adjustable but on mine the nut goes around 28 clicks.. is this normal?

on tein ss btw. R32 2wd

Since the bump and rebound adjustment is all in one, start with the dampers adjusted all the way left (counter clockwise) for full soft and then try adjusting them all the way right (clockwise) for full hard. Then try the middle ground and tune the dampers accordingly. From memory, mine has 16 step adjustment, with the front set on the softer side and stiffer towards the rear. I found going too stiff on the front the car felt understeery.