SAU Community

Melted Connector (Plug) Due To Larger In Tank Pump [Pics]

i dont wanna take over this thread but i have walbro in tank on standar wire and plug - pumps to surge tank then two 044 to fuel rail - i then have two relays one for each pump generally is fine but twice now the wire has burnt out directly at the battery terminal - fuses in the relay dont blow just cuts out coz there is no power and i turn car off straight away..

why is this happening

should i be wiring my direct power line to another wire and not the battery?

dont wanna take over so if something knows pls pm me

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont wanna take over this thread but i have walbro in tank on standar wire and plug - pumps to surge tank then two 044 to fuel rail - i then have two relays one for each pump generally is fine but twice now the wire has burnt out directly at the battery terminal - fuses in the relay dont blow just cuts out coz there is no power and i turn car off straight away..

why is this happening

Poor wiring, wrong choice of fuses and/or fake pumps draining excessive power.

If your fuses are not popping and your wires are melting, I would be VERY concerned at whoever wired your pumps & relays up.

Usually those automotive relays handle up to 40A max, these pumps at full song should only draw 14A give or take 1A depending on temperature (adds to resistance and current draw)

So you should be running only 20A fuses per relay circuit per pump, or a combined 40A fuse for 1x relay for 2x pumps.

You could get away with 15A fuse, but incase of start up current draw spiking I would just add a little more to prevent popping fuses.

the bolt pictured is a ls1 coil or coil cover bracket bolt avail just about every where.

we also use them for bulkhead fittings.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure exactly where it came from, just found a few in a box of bolts.

why is this happening

What terminal are you using? Is it crimped on? I would solder it on. A lose connection gets hot.

Edited by superben

i thought these may have been off a ls1, will an o ring by its self actualy work? or will it just crush too much..

i wonder if them o ring washers are available in 6mm size?

just checked all wires are neat clean not exposed.. the power wire has a connector soldered to it which then bolts to battery terminal.. each relay has a 10a fuse in.. should this be bigger or should i find another power source.. if pumps were drawing to much power wouldn't the 10a fuse blow? its only the power wire off battery rest are fine..

if someone knows more tech stuff about this pls pm so i don't take over thread thanks

Edited by Reese69

10a definitely isn't big enough. The pumps draw 14a, that will blow the fuse in just normal operating conditions. 15a minimum, preferably 20a.

10a definitely isn't big enough. The pumps draw 14a, that will blow the fuse in just normal operating conditions. 15a minimum, preferably 20a.

thats what i thought but i have not blown a fuse, only issue is where the wire connects to the battery it burnt off - not sure but looks like the wire hits the battery about an inch off the terminal thats where it has burnt off...

Ah Woah, Yeh that's wayyyy too small. I'd be using 12 gauge wire as a minimum to the pumps, and 8 gauge minimum to the battery. The stuff you're using is what I use to wire gauges that don't draw more than half an amp haha.

ive got the same e85 intank pump, few weeks ago after some spirited driving the car turned off, check the fuse and it melted the fuse and fuse holder,

ended up finding out my fuse holder was only rated to 20amps, so I put a new 30amp blade fuse holder and fuse and its been great ever since

these pumps suck a lot of juice !

3mm 10amp wire..... im going to assume that is wrong type to use.. what gauge should be used? ill be redoing it my self tomorrow.

Are you running all 3 pumps off this single wire? A 3mm for each would be ok.

Are you running all 3 pumps off this single wire? A 3mm for each would be ok.

No chance! Even just running that size wire from the relay down to the pump, at 70psi fuel pressure, one fuel pump will be drawing 16a. 3mm wire isn't gonna cut it. Then you definitely wouldn't want to be running that size from the battery to the relay, as Reese69 has discovered.