SAU Community

Can Someone Please Tell Me What Is Going On Here.

I am trying to diagnose a vibration/rumbling from the rear at speeds over 130 km/h so i jacked up the rear and pulled off both wheels, my plan was to put it into rwd and just engage first gear, stick my head under the back and have a listen, but when i engaged first gear after 3-4 seconds of drivers side hub rotating (i have my head out the door looking) a clicking noise starts (sounds rather like two gears with worn teeth that are not fully engaged and skipping) and the drivers side hub has stopped spinning and is kind of inching along. If i push in the clutch at let it out again the noise starts immediately (no 3-4 seconds of rotation) but if i run it in reverse (which seems to work normally with no noises or anything) and then go back to first i get the 3-4 seconds of normal rotation in 1st again. I'm not sure what is going on with the tailshaft and the passenger side hub while this is going on. can someone please enlighten me as to what might be happening?

thanks

(car is a 32 gtr)

drop the tailshaft and spin the hub by hand? i would have thought something that happens so easily with no load would be showing up in a major way when driving.

• Like 1

To test for a wheel bearing issue, grab both ends on the vertical axis of the wheel and push with one hand while pulling with other, keep alternating and if you feel that there's some play there then it's most probably the wheel bearing. I had this issue before and had a mechanic explain it to me.

so an update......got my girlfriend to jump in the car and engage first gear while i had a good look at what was going on. Noise is coming from passenger side hub, strange thing is that the passenger side hub is rotating normally and the drivers side stops/inches along, put the wheels back on and gave it a good wiggle back and forth (top to bottom) and got abit of movement so i guess that wheel bearing is shot and causing the noise (and hopefully the cause of my vibration)

can anyone tell me why the drivers side wheel stops rotating when it seems like its the passenger one thats f*cked? is this an issue with the diff?

and when you change wheel bearings do you change the other side at the same time regardless or only if it needs it?

Well, you won't get any noise from something that ain't moving much!

The fact that both wheels are not driving the same when you are supposed to have a mechanical LSD in there (which should make them act together) means that something is very unwell in the diff. Follow advices above.