SAU Community

Stagea Warning Light

webng

Well the parking foot brake has been faulty for years (foot pedal will depress but won't release when i pull the lever) now so I don't use it at all. But this is the first time the light has come on. If that's just it I shouldn't worry?

Sounds like the cables have seized up, which I think happens sometimes back when I owned a C34. Could be a problem if the brake pads are pressing on the discs. It's certainly worth jacking it up to see if that's the case. If you were here in NZ, a 6 monthly warrant of fitness check would keep your car off the road if the parking brake failed.

Definitely low brake fluid Nick, had the same issue with mine, topped up and it went off. Just check the level, I can almost guarantee you that it'll be on low. You might be due for some new pads as well.

Thanks, will check when i get home. Top up and service in a couple of weeks so all good.

Definitely low brake fluid Nick, had the same issue with mine, topped up and it went off. Just check the level, I can almost guarantee you that it'll be on low. You might be due for some new pads as well.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/424151-sticky-parking-brake/#entry6948181

Well after having the pedal seize right up on me, I thought it was definitely going to be a removal job.

To avoid that, I gave the WD40 treatment another go. This time I had to lay down mats, newspaper and towels to stop the WD from getting onto the carpets. Using a bit of PVC tubing attached the can I was able to soak the pedal mechanism from every angle, completely soaking the area until the WD was running off onto the towels. Repeated a few times.

Well f**k me, it worked a treat. It freed the mechanism right up, the pedal now releases fully when you pull the brake release. My only concern is that I did wash off some grease on the pedal, so hopefully I haven't affected any lubrication points, but if I have to add some oil or grease in future its not too much a big deal.

Will report back if I actually ended up ruining the pedal, but so far so good. Beats having a stationary vehicle.

Nice, will do that. Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I bought some Castrol React Dot 4 fluid from Supercheap Auto for about $8.00, does the trick just fine and replaces DOT 3 fluids.