SAU Community

Raspberry Pi

Kenna802

Anyone had a play with this little device ? Was thinking it could be a cheap alternative as a media player/ computer by using 2 separate sd cards ( one with Linux and other with Linux xmbc ) obviously u can't run both at same time but it is a cheap little device.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first heard about the Pi I thought it would be revolutionary but now you can pick up Android tablets for less than $50 which use a similar chip, already include a monitor, RAM, a drive and are functional out of the box. In addition I can just go to a shop and buy one whereas the Pi had (and maybe still has) a massive wait. I imagine it would be possible to run a Linux distro on most tablets without too much trouble too. For a media player you will need to spend a little more to get a tablet with a HDMI out.

• 2 weeks later...

i have one... got it for free from a mate who works @ google

running raspbmc at the moment. works surprisingly well - the only thing i miss is built in wi-fi and i havent tried 1080p stuff on it yet

its controlled by the tv remote so no stuffing around with keyboards and mice. ill set it up as the garage media player one of these days