SAU Community

Tyre Warranties?

Only a few weeks ago I had some new tyres put on all round, not the best tyres available but all I could afford at such short notice, Nankang 18" 235's on the front & 265's on the rear.

I was driving to work this morning on my usual 24km journey, the car seemed to be pulling to the right excessively and the ride wasn't as cushy as usual, but still reasonably driveable, little did I know it was flat the whole journey! Spose that goes to show how hard my suspension is.

So I take it back to the tyre place and he points out quite a big bulge in the inside wall of the front right tyre, I said thats covered under warranty right?

He said NO, because you have driven on it. So I'm thinking majority of people drive on flat tyres thats how they realise there flat, how can it not be under warranty, I havent done anything excessively hoonish or at high speeds? Just driving to and from work thats all?

Anyway he fails to find a leek all day in it, so I refit it and drive home in it fine.

Its still has the bulge in the side, and I'll see if it goes down again by tomorrow morning?

But where do I stand with warranties, I fear that this tyre could blow out at any stage veering me into oncoming traffic?

I'd say that you have no standing on any warranty claim at all. Tyres are not designed to be driven whilst flat, so any damage caused is not as a result of a manufacturing defect but your misuse.

That is unless you can prove that the tyre went flat because of something wrong with the tyre, for example it had a leak when you bought it.

Bad luck, but i think you will be buying a new tyre.

You've got a bubble..the tyre is no good to you anymore unfortunately.

I had a similar experience - didn't check the tyre pressure, drove and then find it's flat then later a bubble appeared. Tough luck it says the tyre place. Aren't you suppose to walk around the car before you drive it anyway?