SAU Community

R34 Power Steering Leak

Rps13

R34 Gtt has a power steering leak.

The leak is coming from the lower banjo bolt that has a hard line running off it too the power steering rack.

It is just an occasional drip at the moment how ever when you hard lock the steering wheel it squirts out with high pressure.

Both rubber washers on the banjo bolt were worn and broken.

I have tried replacing the washers with copper ones and this didn't work I also replaced them with the same rubber washers that were originally on there and that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Were they dowie washers (steel with rubber inside)?

You really need to look at the mating surfaces on the banjo amd pump hosing for any defects, scratches, or debris

No they are not the ones you have described. On the banjo bolt it has the following at the bast of the bolt copper washer then rubber washer then goes through power steering line then another rubber washer then bolted in.

Is this how all Gtt's are on this?

I will have to do double check the surface to check it's smooth.

Any one have any other comments or suggestions

Sounds like somone has modded yours to fix a leak. On Fast it shows a copper washer on either side of the banjo and thats all.

This is for an R33. But I dont see why a 34 would be any different. I've only ever seen dowie washers or copper washers used on banjo bolts, 1 on either side.

Something seems a bit odd with yours. Id check there is no obvious defects on the banjo or pump (Or even the banjo bolt) that has caused the previous owner/workshop to mod it in such a way to band-aid fix it

If you dont want to replace the hose, you could try installing it again with a bit of loctite 515 or similiar