SAU Community

Sat Nav, (Img) & Igo

So I came across International Motor Group (IMG) or Road and Track is what the website comes up as now.

I like many other V36 owners (I'm not yet but hope to be soon) have had this shocker of a problem with the Sat Nav conversion.

I have followed some of the threads and have also spoke to Chris Rogers, the Guru it seems in regards to this problem.

I would like to keep the Bose sound system in place and not have to worry about sourcing a top spec V36 without Sat Nav, so Chris can work his magic. Compared to having a Sat Nav already in place and it being a huge headache to get the work done plus extra price.

Anyway IMG, can do the conversion with Sat Nav in place and using iGO, which by my limited research thus far appears to be the software side of things. It is also a touch screen.

I'm going to speak to them later today so I can find out more details. I don't know if this has been discussed yet? I did a search for iGO on the forums and nothing came back?

Please let me know if this is nothing new and or a complete waste of time.

I will try and include a Pic of the Nav home screen.

Cheers

post-134916-0-40117200-1402095050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Black Dog

Hah, Shot down in flames already. I just spoke to a good bloke at Road and Track (used to be IMG) and he said he was doing the above process on a couple of cars but he wasn't happy with the results. He was basically piggy backing off the existing system, which would mean that sometimes it was like a mirror image and the Jap writing etc would show through at times. The only real plus about it was, that you could still use the Bose system.

By the way he drives a Skyline as well.

So it looks like Chris still remains the Guru, unless someone else has cracked it ;)

Why you no buy Garmin and stick on dash? :P

Hey, don't worry I'm seriously considering it :)

That way I would assume I can still use the other functions on the factory Sat Nav screen?, once I master the Japanese languish ;)

Also I could still use the Bose premium sound system, oh yeah...

You can swap the entire box (2006-2007 PV36) or just change the firmware (2007 onwards KV36) to get Australian sat nav. The issue, though is the only guys who are capable of doing this trick cheaper than Chris are in Russia and to get them down here we need to have some number of cars to convert, I found it impossible to do. I have a thread somewhere here about it.

It will look and feel OEM with small differences like Infiniti logos but otherwise it's much better than overlay hacks with iGO or Garmin which still don't solve the issue of japanese interface throughout the system. The cost for 5 cars is about $5k per car, for 10 cars it will be circa $3.5k-4k, but hardly cheaper. Chris does this trick with oem parts for five digit number. So get a Garmin unit, it is 20 times cheaper at least.

Edited by Zveruga

You can swap the entire box (2006-2007 PV36) or just change the firmware (2007 onwards KV36) to get Australian sat nav. The issue, though is the only guys who are capable of doing this trick cheaper than Chris are in Russia and to get them down here we need to have some number of cars to convert, I found it impossible to do. I have a thread somewhere here about it.

It will look and feel OEM with small differences like Infiniti logos but otherwise it's much better than overlay hacks with iGO or Garmin which still don't solve the issue of japanese interface throughout the system. The cost for 5 cars is about $5k per car, for 10 cars it will be circa $3.5k-4k, but hardly cheaper. Chris does this trick with oem parts for five digit number. So get a Garmin unit, it is 20 times cheaper at least.

Once my car gets here you can add me to your list for the Russian guys to do the job. It certainly would be a lot better solution. Mine will be a 370 GT coupe at least a 2009 and up.

Mikhail, I have been talking to Chris and he has said, like he has to everyone else it's better to get the car without Sat Nav as it's cheaper for him to do. But I want a top spec car and it is obviously harder to find one without Navi. So as I understand it the only thing you gain when Chris does it is the Australian maps themselves and that's it. Is that correct? Oh and also you lose the Bose sound System?

But if I just buy a portable Sat Nav for the car does that seem the way to go and then can I use all the other functions on the built in Sat Nav that comes with the car. I just have to learn my way around the menus?

It would be a much cheaper and preferred way to go, which means I can use the factory Bose sound system etc and not to mention my budget for initial purchase of the car can be higher.

I have been agonising over this, as I couldn't narrow it down as to what I can and can't use if I don't get it changed through Chris.

Any info and clarification on the matter would be a huge help.

Cheers, Paul

I can't speak for what Chris can and can't do. Xanavi are known for swapping IT08 systems from Japan to their North American or European models with multi language firmware. This is a different solution however they could not confirm whether their system has Australian maps yet so in worst case scenario you'll need to use Garmin anyway.

I am personally not worried about navi in general as I have another car with built-in local navi and never use it, Google Maps is way better and actual.