SAU Community

Fuel Pump Size And Capability

Gareth87

Trying to work out my fuel setup for an E85 conversion and I'm a little stuck with pump sizing. Was planning on fitting an R31 efi tank to my bluebird which is a straight fit and it will allow me to remove the surge tank, however, I have been seriously warned about surge.

With this in mind, I will probably have to revert back to keeping the surge tank and using a large in line pump suitable for E85. Previously you all have given me advice on big inline pumps, but I need to know how big?

Heaps of info on injector sizing but I want to know the flow rate I need for a minimum of 500hp at the wheels with a 4cyl FJ20 and I will be using 1400cc injectors.

These Holley pumps look pretty good but can I get away with the 100GPH pump? any suggestions..https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_electric_in-line_pumps/

Thanks in advance.

Aeroflow are a direct copy of the Holley pumps and have the same colour coding for the pumps. The red and blue models aren't methanol compatible but the black is. The black is 140gph.

Carter lift pumps aren't e85 compatible either. I've just gone through this myself and ended up with the aeroflow black since anything better was a substantial increase in price.

Where did you see the older style pumps online? (edit, just found it on the website but they are carby only) also, I take it the aeroflow black is working fine as a lift pump?

Currently I use the stock 35yr old carby pump as a lift pump on my car with no worries but obviously will need to upgrade for ethanol..

Still can't find anything online for exactly what flow rate pump that I can use.

Edited by Gareth87

You have found what flow your injectors need to have.

Convert the total flow the injectors need into gph.

Eg 1400x4=5600 cc per minute.

5.6lpm

=360 liters per hour.

Convert that to gallons.

Unreal, I just ended up with that calculation a few moments ago.. Only couldn't be sure how the flow would be affected under pressure.. Pump I'm looking at is 370LPH free flow and I can't find a pressure flow rate chart.

Thanks for the info!

Unreal, I just ended up with that calculation a few moments ago.. Only couldn't be sure how the flow would be affected under pressure.. Pump I'm looking at is 370LPH free flow and I can't find a pressure flow rate chart.

Thanks for the info!

Fuel pumps will typically lose flow when the pressure goes up. It varies between pumps substantially.

The free flow rating is as good as useless unless it's being used as a lift pump .