SAU Community

Holden 186

So are you going to paint the rocker cover and sand back the raised parts for clean alloy contrast?

Do it. :) (we all use to, looked tough)

• Like 1

Oh I hear you guys !

You had to manufacture most of the stuff to get the red motor six to hold together and rev past 7000rpm.

I remember shaking engines apart cause the harmonics were terrible.

I look at the main stud braces now and laugh my arse of at how flimsy they look at what I did to get the crank to stop flexing and main caps walking, trying to keep flywheels on, and custom harmonic balancers.

Time for a Bex and a Nana nap now !

• Like 1

You young whipper snappers with your ultra modern red sixes. They grey's are where the action is.

My first car (EJ) had the grey 138 power house. 4 crank bearings, no oil filter (yes, really). Lucky to rev that old girl past 4000 RPM. I learnt to drive in that thing (3 in the tree with no synchro on 1st, 4 wheel drummies) - no wonder I still have good mechanical sympathy for every car I drive - except hire cars - they need to be punished)

I'm loving this old school talk - takes me back to the twin webbered 180B I bought when I was 21. What a way to learn about jetting and balancing carbies!!

• Like 3

[quote name="warps" post="7502878" timestamp="1427184289"(3 in the tree with no synchro on 1st, 4 wheel drummies) - no wonder I still have good mechanical sympathy for every car I drive - except hire cars - they need to be punished)

I had a hr with a crash box the don't like burnouts haha best thing is that there easy enough to change over, and your hire cars are evil and need to be punished haha!

I'm thinking about painting the cover same colour as the motor and polishing up the fins what your reckon GTRPSI?

• Like 1

I think I've got to get a tacho for the beast too, and a crank girdle, It has a decent size cam in it, but the rev calculator on the net is telling me she's reving to 8300rpm!

• Like 1

You young whipper snappers with your ultra modern red sixes. They grey's are where the action is.

My first car (EJ) had the grey 138 power house. 4 crank bearings, no oil filter (yes, really). Lucky to rev that old girl past 4000 RPM. I learnt to drive in that thing (3 in the tree with no synchro on 1st, 4 wheel drummies) - no wonder I still have good mechanical sympathy for every car I drive - except hire cars - they need to be punished)

I'm loving this old school talk - takes me back to the twin webbered 180B I bought when I was 21. What a way to learn about jetting and balancing carbies!!

Hell you just reminded me when the old man taught me to service the air filter on a grey motor.

So im going to throw up a challenge...is anyone old enough here to remember how it was done?

No Googling either! :)

Was quite a shock to see what more modern cars ran to clean the air. (Hint)

Shit, if no one knows im seriously going to officially be the old fart around here.....:D

I'm thinking about painting the cover same colour as the motor and polishing up the fins what your reckon GTRPSI?

Now ya talking. :)

Or crinkle paint the covers in a contrasting color and polish the fins, Crinkle black with ploished fins use to be the rage back in the day however the engine color as you suggested would look good and more with the times too.

Edit; DO NOT forget these while your there.... http://www.speco.com.au/accvalvecover.html

Then she will really be old school. :)

Edited by GTRPSI

I think I remember reading on how to clean the air filter on the pre 65 cars in my 1948 - 1967 Gregory's service manual book !

You know its one of those things made of flat pieces of paper with printed writing on it !

The filter was a oil bath affair which was an element sitting in a can soaked in oil and air passed across and through it catching the dust and grit in the oil.

I think you took out the element ( which was made of a fibrous material ) out of its housing washed it in kerosene,

dried it out and then wet it down with new engine oil and put it back in.

Then you clubbed the Tyrannosaurus Rex, that was trying to eat you, several times in the head to scare it off, continued to try and invent the wheel, fired up your car and off you went !

How's that sound ?

• Like 2

Now ya talking. :)

Or crinkle paint the covers in a contrasting color and polish the fins, Crinkle black with ploished fins use to be the rage back in the day however the engine color as you suggested would look good and more with the times too.

Edit; DO NOT forget these while your there.... http://www.speco.com.au/accvalvecover.html

Then she will really be old school. :)

f**k yeah T-bars

My HQ prem had them when I bought it.....had a cammed up 202, 350 holley, traumatic, lots of rust, cragar 5 spokes.

Was slow as hell...but lumpy.....so I dropped a 308 in it

Ahhhh

f**k this thread

Now I want another old car!

• Like 2

I've got a set of t bars in the shed, I took them off because you'd open the bonnet to show your mates and the first thing they do is twist them righting it more and squashing the gasket, you to piss me off haha

My old boy has a filter on a fe with a 138 , it looks like an old tea kettle

• Like 1

I think I remember reading on how to clean the air filter on the pre 65 cars in my 1948 - 1967 Gregory's service manual book !

You know its one of those things made of flat pieces of paper with printed writing on it !

The filter was a oil bath affair which was an element sitting in a can soaked in oil and air passed across and through it catching the dust and grit in the oil.

I think you took out the element ( which was made of a fibrous material ) out of its housing washed it in kerosene,

dried it out and then wet it down with new engine oil and put it back in.

Then you clubbed the Tyrannosaurus Rex, that was trying to eat you, several times in the head to scare it off, continued to try and invent the wheel, fired up your car and off you went !

How's that sound ?

Sound bloody spot in if you ask me hahahaha

Yep, the air filters were a oil bath design.

My job was to empty and wipe the inside of it, at the begining i was too small to climb up to get to it so my old man use to get it out for me.

Had to wait a few years to be a bit taller to do it myself, then i could refill it with oil also while standing on the front bar. :)

Haven't had much of a chance to work on it this week, I got the rocker cover but I was abit cbf'd rubbing the lines back to alloy so I'll do that soon, had a bit of a play with the carbs trying to get it to idle, it's getting better with a few jet changes but I think it's time to take it to someone that's more experienced in tunning them, then I'll get her on the dyno :)

• Like 1

post-134876-14277854490643_thumb.jpg

Put a Weldy in with 3:55 ratio [emoji106]

post-134876-14277857437315_thumb.jpg

Port matched my extractors

post-134876-1427785836046_thumb.jpgpost-134876-14277860039296_thumb.jpgpost-134876-14277863660116_thumb.jpg

Few pics of my head

post-134876-14277861706132_thumb.jpg

She's got all the bells and whistles in her now [emoji4]

post-134876-14277860621032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rbdirty30
  • Like 1

Yep, the air filters were a oil bath design.

My job was to empty and wipe the inside of it, at the begining i was too small to climb up to get to it so my old man use to get it out for me.

Had to wait a few years to be a bit taller to do it myself, then i could refill it with oil also while standing on the front bar. :)

Well I can remember the old man giving the 35 Chrysler Airflow a bit of carby adjustment and I picked up the air cleaner and tipped the oil all over my Sunday best.

Must have been two I'd guess??? which would be about 63 years ago.

• Like 1

Hey Rbdirty30;

That's a nice bit of port work on that 9 port head.

Its been a while since I've seen the port dividers put in to turn it into a 12 port !

Looks like you've polished and cc'd the hi comp combustion chambers as well !

Head machined for screw in rocker studs

That's a must if you want the best out of a Red 6 !

I'm trying to find an old school rocker stud girdle for mine at the moment but no one makes them anymore and might have to make my own !

GTRPSI - does this make me the oldest fart here ? . . . . .

Oh wait ! . . jiffo was saying something about being 65 ! !

• Like 1

post-134876-14278502073854_thumb.jpgpost-134876-14278502267285_thumb.jpgpost-134876-14278502881493_thumb.jpg

Hey plynx cheers! Here's a few more pics of the head, I don't have none with my roller rockets on tho, but the rocker studs I had to get longer ones compared to the normal because my camshaft was to big,( on the normal size arp studs the posi locks were only on two turns on the thread.

The head is a high comp 161 head , I got it off one of my dads mates, who got brookfield to do all the work on it, many moons ago .it's angle plained and moved over to the centre of the piston more . Compared to my last yella terra head this makes way more power , by the feels of it anyway haves dyno'd it yet but my last motor 110kw at the wheels.

• Like 1

Nope, Terry's got a few months on me.

Lots of memories from this thread, not all good ones too.

161 heads onto 186/202?? blocks. Big cams/tough springs bending those pressed metal rockers, all pretty horrible stuff.

Then I discovered my first Rb20 and that was the end of trying for hp with the old red motors.

20 was so smooth, revved out beautifully, all over for Mr Holden.

I no what your saying about the new motors being better I brought an fj20 and it would eat my 186 but there's something about working on an old red motor that I enjoy.

• Like 1