SAU Community

R33 Trouble Starting

Brad13

Hi all - my R33 has developed an issue lately when cold starting. It splutters about and struggles for a few seconds after starting. It's fine after it's started and runs great, but unless I hold the key a second longer when starting or blip the throttle while turning over it has this issue. I've done plenty of searches on here but this was the best I could find so i know plenty of people have experienced it but that his thread has no definitive cause or fixes for it yet.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/404800-r33-skyline-start-up-problems-in-the-morning/page-3

I've replaced my o2 sensor with a brand new one, spark plugs are new and battery is all good. Any help would be great, it's doing my head in!

It's more or less stock, has a fmic & a boost tee running 10psi but that's about it. I've upgraded the fuel pump about 6 month's ago to a DW 300 and replaced the fuel filter about 1,500km's ago in the last service (It's been doing it for a few months now but it's just really beginning to get on my nerves. I've also tried running the fuel system cleaners which hasn't helped. I hate that it's such a relatively simple problem I can't seem to diagnose or fix...at least I hope it's simple!

I have another mate with a 33 too and his has started doing the same thing. We're both stumped.

Try priming the fuel pump twice before cranking and see if problem goes away. If it does, could be low fuel pressure at start up due to blocked filter or dying pump.

Yeah tried this nothing, pump and filter have been replaced. I have no idea anymore, have completely given up lol. I do feel slightly it is fuel related if it's the pump or something else I'm unsure car drives great.

It's more or less stock, has a fmic & a boost tee running 10psi but that's about it. I've upgraded the fuel pump about 6 month's ago to a DW 300 and replaced the fuel filter about 1,500km's ago in the last service (It's been doing it for a few months now but it's just really beginning to get on my nerves. I've also tried running the fuel system cleaners which hasn't helped. I hate that it's such a relatively simple problem I can't seem to diagnose or fix...at least I hope it's simple!

I have another mate with a 33 too and his has started doing the same thing. We're both stumped.

I was thinking there was a problem with my nistune ECU, but if it's doing it with stock ECU's then its something else. It's weird my engine bay is 100% double checked everything.