SAU Community

Electric fan question

Hey guys have a question that's been covered before but I haven't had any luck when searching for the exact answer to my question.

Currently have a 14" puller wired to a switch I have to manually turn on and off on my radiator (was on the car when I got it).  I want to switch to a dual fan setup and run it off a temp switch.  My question is if I use a controller like the spal where can I pull signal from without having to chop the upper rad hose and using an adapter?

Is there a plug I can tie into for the command for the viscous fan to engage to use as a trigger wire for a relay to kick my electric fans on?

There is no plug for the viscous fan. It's viscous, not electrically operated. You will need to install a thermostatic switch to turn the fans on and off. You can buy just a switch that has set on/off values instead of using a controller. The switch can be placed in the radiator or tapped into the housing for the top hose. Easiest way though is the adapter spliced into the top hose.

• Like 1

You could if you retapped the hole. Smallest temp switch thread size you'd easily find would prob be 1/8 npt. Should still work fine from there and probably be more accurate as it's mounted on the engine itself. But bleeding might be a bit annoying pulling out the temp switch but pretty much the same I guess. Could even be a bit easier to bleed actually, cause the hole is bigger.

I was thinking rather than use the bleeder if I could either tap this elbow or weld a bung on and put a thermostatic switch on the end of it. Thoughts anyone?

20170101_132839.jpg

Edited by Ed.williams5