SAU Community

Rb25det pilot bearing moving around in crank and won’t fit input shaft

Hey guys, first time posting on here. So iv been building up my rb25det in my r34 for about a year and a half and iv finally got my self a new HD clutch to put in. So I went to remove the old pilot bearing and it literally came out by hand. No tools needed. Thought this was a bit strange. I attempted to fit my new pilot bearing and managed to get it in but it popped into almost a second cavity in the crank I guess you would call it. The bearing moves around freely in there but now my input shaft on the transmission won’t fit into the bearing. Any one come across this before or have any ideas? (Yes, I did align my clutch correctly and yes, I checked the pilot bush fit on the input shaft before installing)

cheers guys

Well, it's supposed to be snug. The reason it won't go onto the input shaft is probably that it's cocked in the crank a little, from not being snug.

Would have to guess that the end of your crank is worn out. which is no good thing, because, it may or may not be concentric. If concentric, you might get away with adding some thickness to the OD of the bush (wrapping it in shim perhaps, or building it up with hot melt metal glue and turning it back down. But if it is not concentric then that will only destroy the front bearing on the gearbox (and possibly the rear bearing on the crank).

Don't know what to suggest you do about it.