SAU Community

nics and eccs

The turbos are also different, depending on year i think. Get rid of the stock turbo and the difference powerwise should be negligable

if u talking the differences between 32 eccs and the nics, then there are a few:

i wouldnt know them all, but as rhino said the turbo is the biggest change.

also the eccs has a much bigger plenum with a 6 intake port head, while the nics has a 12 port head.

eccs has a bov on the pipe just b4 the tb

eccs has bigger injectors

the throttle bodies seem different - the eccs having the cable on the opposite side to the nics

also different radiator hoses and a few other minor things...

comparing the 31 nics to the 31 eccs (still red top), there are less obvious changes - the main one being the bigger plenum combined with the old 12 port head.

to answer your question, the 32 eccs is much better in regards to tuning potential. it is a better base engine to start with - and also a/m parts are much more common.

the turbos used on the rb20 and 25 engines as well as vg30det are known as t3's, but as they are a nissan turbo, i think they are only called this because of the flange.

(they all share 4 bolt t3 style flange)

they are a larger turbo than the t28 size used on gt-r and sr20.

Guest nismogtsx

Ive done a heap of research online as my sister in law can read japanese.. So anyway to the point.. The japs use the old Red top NICS in their more high-end performance cars....

As stated "top secret" used a NICS R31 red top in their record breaking R32 which ran an 8.92 over in japan.... A record that still stands today as the fastest RWD R32 in the world...

Its had the tomei 2.4litre treatment and every other thing under the sun... But yeah they chose this motor due to its larger water jacket.... and larger oil wells in the top half of the motor...

Making this motor cooler and smoother under high end treatment... Less likely to blow up as they put it...

Also the NICS 12 port manifold flows better than the 6 port ECCS... Proven fact.. However for mild performance say 200rwkw most will go fo the ECCS 6 port as it does improve the KW's but when you go highend (300rwkw) then they went back to the 12 port... Due to better flow at high turbo rpm...

So thats why i changed my ECCS for a NICS... I have improved the power on the NICS to the point where we were able to pull 230rwkw's from less than 8 grand....

My car is going in for some fairly major work in three weeks....

PLANS, Stroke to 2.4 (if parts are aviable)

Otherwise 2.2 (allready have parts)

5 speed R33 manual gearbox (R32 not strong enough)

Larger FMIC (going to 720x400x77)

Turbo is going to be rebuilt again, this time with a different front housing... Gonna use a VL turbo front housing (dont ask why, just am, gonna try something new...)

Thats about it... but we aim for 250rwkw all day everyday...

Hopeing to strike the 300rwkw for the first time....

That will then enter the Nissan record books as the most powerfull GTS-X in Australia....

Guest nismogtsx

It has a red top RB20det motor NICS from an HR31

It has been stroked to 2.4 litres

Some form of custom turbo (does not say exactlly, just says that it is a twin cermaic bush turbo...) Id imagine its large..

Tomei internals.. ie. oversized pistons, cams, rods, crank, all internals anyway...

Custom 2 speed top shifting gearbox (from what i can imagine its similar to a modified powerglide....

Solid diff with mini tubs...

Anyway it dyno's at 560rwkw.....

Still is one of their shops cars.....

I will go to top secret one of these days.. When i get holidays i plan on traveling to Japan to see what i can bring back cheap....

Guest nismogtsx

Which one...

No. 24

The one titled "The new chaser is out"

Also with 3 litre GTR combat ready....

Or

No. 25

The one titled "The secret is out, top secret GTR built in Australia"

With an Evo 7 double test

Cause i went down to the newagent and he said that NO.25 came in today... So you might be talking about No.24... Or are you talking about 25... Please let me know cause he wont let me read them so i need to buy it and i dont want two....

HPI basicly say the NICS is infirior to the ECCS due to the 12 port head so there is probably confusion here to nismogtsx statements, but nismogtsx does state they are better over 300rwkw the problem being not many R31's are going near that, so the ECCS is the better engine to the average bear and even better the Silver top RB20det ECCS. But as HPI say dont dispear from simple changes you can get a descent showing from them...